FORUMS: list search recent posts

How much is enough?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ixthus27
How much is enough?
on Sep 5, 2007 at 12:32:39 pm

I have a salary related question. I have been doing video post-production work as a freelancer for about 4 years. I have recently been offered a position with a large production company. The company produces two television nationally broadcast programs that are the number one rated show on their respective channels. They produce DVD's that generate large sales for the company.

They have offered me a position to edit a new show that is going to air nationally on a major cable channel next fall. The job requires me to edit using FCP, create animated graphics for show openers, master DVD's using Studio Pro, and create graphics with Photoshop.

They are offering me $45k salary along side an insurance/401(k)/profit sharing benefits package. Because I have been doing work freelance, I do not have a frame of reference to compare the offer. What do you think? Is this a fair offer? Is it low-ball?

Thanks for your input.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: How much is enough?
on Sep 6, 2007 at 12:30:15 pm

It doesn't matter that the show will go national on cable. What matters is the salary ranges in the city you do the work.
What did you charge as a freelancer for the same work. Add 35% to that if you haven't included costs for your insurance, etc. and compare that figure to their offer. Is their offer higher or lower? Is the amount of work they expect worth more than what you are currently charging as a freelance contractor? The answers to those questions should give you somewhat of a baseline for a living wage.
It seems to me that for the amount of work and the potential audience $45K seems a little low, but as I said, that is determined by factors you didn't include in the post. Best of luck.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]