FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uplinking/Transmitting HDV Live Shots

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Scott
Uplinking/Transmitting HDV Live Shots
on Aug 31, 2007 at 6:27:22 am

Does anyone know if it's possible to microwave/transmit HDV video from the field back to the TV station? I'm being told "no", but I don't buy it due to the low bandwidth requirements of HDV. After all, we're not trying to push 100 Mbit/s HD video this is 25 Mbit/s HDV! But I'm not an engineer, possibly it's more than just a bandwidth issue.

As more news stations make the HD transition, how will they transmit the pictures back to the station? Would a fibre line work?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Jeff

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
Re: Uplinking/Transmitting HDV Live Shots
on Sep 25, 2007 at 5:34:56 am

Yes and no. The live truck would be using a digital microwave link, similar to the STL microwave system used in-between the studio and DTV transmitter. You'd have to use an HDV deck with HD-SDI and output, into the HD-SDI input of a digital microwave transmitter back to the studio. Here's an example of such a transmitter.

Another option that would NOT be for live shots would be establishing a network connection across the microwave link and transferring the HDV video files from an NLE across the computer network to the station.

Of course, this is all new, emerging technology, and I don't claim to know exactly what would be involved.

Maybe a DTV engineer will stop by, but then again, these aren't the types of forums I'd picture them in! ;) Then again, if you do work at a TV station, check with the engineers. They'll either tell you how it can be done, or not have a clue as to what you're talking about!

tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]