FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hardware Scopes

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dhmaya
Hardware Scopes
on Aug 26, 2007 at 3:55:47 am

I am building a FCP/Kona LSe system & need advice on the best hardware waveform/vectorscope for me. I am working right now with Beta SP component video but see SD 4:2:2 over SDI in the near future.

I have been looking at new & used options from the following manufacturers: Tektronix, Videotek, Leader & Compuvideo.

So I wonder if anyone has advice about which brands are best, I would love to have guidance. I am very curious about Compuvideo because they are cheap -- are they to video scopes what Behringer is to audio gear: you get what you pay for?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
Re: Hardware Scopes
on Aug 26, 2007 at 6:15:39 pm

Curious, are you looking into a traditional scope with a built-in CRT (or updated LCD) or are you open to a rasterizing scope that you'd hook up to a video monitor or better, a computer monitor?

Personally, I favor the rasterizing scopes much more. I ditched using CRT scopes about 5 years ago. What's nice too is that you can hook up any size display to them rather than being forced with always using a tiny built-in screen. Plus the rasterizers usually allow for multiple screens at once.

From what I'm aware of, Compuvideo doesn't have a rasterizer scope in their line up. Tektronix, Videotek, Leader and Magni do however.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index

dhmaya
on Aug 27, 2007 at 12:52:43 am

Thanks for responding, Marco. I am looking at the rasterizers. Are they as accurate for analog video as the traditional crts? And which brands have you worked with?

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Aug 27, 2007 at 8:13:41 am

Personally, I think they can be more accurate than the older CRT counterparts. One reason being that the good rasterizers usually have a lot of alarming options that are programmable. Also, the rasterizers that support a minimum of VGA output are at least 800x600 native resolution which allows for greater detail, including when you zoom in.

I currently own about 4 Magnis and 1 Videotek.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index

dhmaya
on Aug 29, 2007 at 11:29:48 pm

Hi Marco,

I came across a local production house selling a used Videotek VTM-100 & picked it up today. So far it looks good!

Thanks for the advice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]