FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX 200 in the real world

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Becquiot
HVX 200 in the real world
on Aug 18, 2007 at 1:35:14 am

I was wondering if someone could tell me how the HVX 200 would compare in SD to the likes of a D30 with dockable DVCAM.

I like the portabilty factor of the HVX for smaller quick productions, and the 4:2:2 sampling is pretty attractive for keying.

I understand that this is still a camcorder with 1/3 chips and I am not expecting a miracle, just a fair comparison, especially given the samll price tag.

Thanks,

Vince

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: HVX 200 in the real world
on Aug 21, 2007 at 4:48:05 pm

IF you capture the HVX footage as DVCProHD or better, which requires a capture card...
AND IF you use the resulting footage as center-punched SD...
I think it would be a dandy addition to your SD arsenal!

Most HDV cameras make darned good SD cameras if the footage is captured at full resolution and NOT through a Firewire connection. In my opinion, HDV cameras make very poor HD cameras.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

c1dumbkid
on Oct 4, 2007 at 6:34:01 pm

The HVX in 720p dvc pro still only looks about the same as the big panasonic cameras in SD mode. Granted those cameras are 4x as big and the lens is as big as the entire HVX 200 and this chip size is 2x as big, but that's a pretty big advance to have a $6000 camera with $2000 of add ons that will give you results simmiliar to those of a SD $30,000 camera. I agree with last response, if you shoot in a high format and downconvert, it'll hold up pretty well.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Oct 4, 2007 at 8:27:29 pm

[c1dumbkid] "The HVX in 720p dvc pro still only looks about the same as the big panasonic cameras in SD mode."

I think that you need a better monitor. There are nuances that are not part of a 2/3" CCD in the 1/3" but there is more resolution in 720P than in 480.

As far as the HVX just weorking in DV, I might suggest that you look at DVCPRO50, that will get you more color resolution that the DVCAM cameras offer which will net you a cleaner chroma-key.

Best,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]