FORUMS: list search recent posts

Macbook Pro for editing?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Dugan
Macbook Pro for editing?
on Aug 16, 2007 at 1:30:48 am

Anyone have thoughts on working on a new intel 17" Macbook Pro with 4 gigs of ram, 160 gig HD and 7200 rpm processor?

I am hoping/planning on moving from an older G5 tower to a more mobile situation.
What are the upsides and downsides?

I will be using Premiere Pro, After Effects, Maya and Photoshop.
Most of my work is short format under 5 minute pieces but maybe a possible longer piece here and there. All for DVD and web delivery.

Thanks

Brian

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Macbook Pro for editing?
on Aug 16, 2007 at 2:59:16 pm

My personal opinion is that you could constrain your ability to do work quaickly and efficiently, but that all depends on the video you intend to edit. Notice that I said what you intend to EDIT, not deliver.

If you're simply shooting DV -- and DV ONLY -- it ought to be okay.

However, if there is any chance at all that you'll do HD, or even SD video with a higher bitrate than DV, you're going to need something beefier, and that's no lie; a single drive wouldn't be able to sustain the kind of bitrate you'd need.

I include HDV in this category, too. Why? Because unless you intend to do cuts-only editing with no effects, your machine will be woefully slow. Even though the picture may be bigger, the HDV codec is even worse quality than the DV codec. You'd want to capture HDV video in a codec that maintains quality better than HDV for any kind of effects work... and when you do that, the bitrate shoots up, and your drive would be inadequate.

Unless you're absolutely certain that you will never, ever be supplied video from a source other than your own, or buy third-party video to use in your projects, you would spend a bunch of time rendering... and what fun is that?

This topic has come up frequently on the Final Cut Pro Forum. If you do a search in that forum using a search term like "Macbook Pro", you will find many threads similar to your situation.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Doug
Re: Macbook Pro for editing?
by
on Aug 16, 2007 at 6:13:25 pm

Also, make sure you buy an external hard drive to capture the video on. Safer for your computer and you have the ability to use someone else's system if yours goes down.

Doug

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]