FORUMS: list search recent posts

monitor setup for planned online

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
StephenSF
monitor setup for planned online
on Aug 3, 2007 at 12:31:19 pm

Hello all,
I wondered if anyone here may help. I currently work at an offline facility and my boss has asked me to research what monitor equipment would be required for setting up an online. The cpu and I/O side of things is all fine its just that he's been out of the online world for some time and i've never been in it.
What I want to know is what monitors, both cpu displays and broadcast monitors, would you recommend for colour correction work in particular.
Thanks in advance.
Stephen.

Return to posts index

Glenn Chan
Re: monitor setup for planned online
on Aug 3, 2007 at 10:29:26 pm

For a long while, the Sony BVM CRTs were generally considered the gold standard for monitoring (especially since LCDs weren't that good in comparison). You may have difficulty buying one now. The BVMs don't quite deliver full 1920x1080 resolution (though performance goes up with size) and the tube should be replaced if it's been used too much. If the scene is very bright, the tube will flare and this raises the black level and therefore de-saturates colors slightly.

For LCDs, Sony's BVM-Ls are designed to replace the BVMs. They are sharper. Color looks the same unless you are standing very close (Sony has 2 CRTs and their LCD lined up in a color matching demo at NAB... I think many people thought the monitors look the same; IMO they do unless you are standing close to the monitor). On dark scenes, the CRT doesn't flare and has noticeably better black level.

eCinemasys is also offering its DPX monitors. It's in the same price range (ballpark $25k) and it's probably a better monitor (better black level).

2- In a lower price bracket, you might look at Ikegami HD CRTs (not sure if you can still get them though).

3- In practice, a huge factor is how good the suite looks to the client.

In terms of passing QC, you won't get dinged on color accuracy issues. A- it's hard to notice (we generally don't notice them). and B- it's subjective, and QC reports don't go there. You will get dinged if your levels are off, so you should have a legalizer and ideally scopes (hardware WFM + vectorscope; software scopes tend to be poorly implemented + buggy).

4- Some (most) editing facilities have poor monitoring practices (grading in the dark, using tungsten lighting, non-neutral surround, monitors not calibrated often, light not flagged off the monitor) so it goes to show you that no one really notices subtle monitoring inaccuracies. Because we generally don't.

5- For computer monitors, it doesn't matter too much what you get. You can/should look at your broadcast monitor for accuracy. (Though Apple Color may be an exception.)

You do want the white points on your computer monitors to match room/surround lighting and your broadcast monitor.

Return to posts index

StephenSF
on Aug 4, 2007 at 8:07:41 am

"5- For computer monitors, it doesn't matter too much what you get. You can/should look at your broadcast monitor for accuracy. (Though Apple Color may be an exception.)"

Why would Apple Color be an exception?

Return to posts index

Glenn Chan
on Aug 4, 2007 at 6:21:03 pm

Hmm I guess it wouldn't be an exception really. There was a time where (in Final Touch) if you wanted to preview HD-SDI out, you couldn't get real-time playback due to AGP limitations. Though I don't think it's an issue now??

Return to posts index

StephenSF
on Aug 4, 2007 at 8:43:39 am

Also, I should have mentioned, we only ever do SD work. Saying this, I was asked to look into getting a HD monitor. Presumably the cost difference would be significant between the two.
We do need to be offer some kind of grading, but $25k is kind of out of our budget.
Perhaps it would be better to go for a SD or second hand solution?
Thanks again

Return to posts index

Glenn Chan
on Aug 4, 2007 at 6:37:48 pm

I'd probably go for a SD CRT then. For SD, a CRT will show you things like interlace flicker, which a LCD won't. And it delivers very good images and they have good price/performance. It looks like you can get a 20" Ikegami for a little over 2 grand.

If you can hold off buying a HD monitor, I'd probably do that. They are getting a lot better and a lot cheaper.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]