FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I need 1920x1280 res LCD monitor for GUI?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmybee500
Do I need 1920x1280 res LCD monitor for GUI?
on Aug 1, 2007 at 2:00:47 pm

Hi all,

I wasn't sure which forum to pop this question on, so I've put it on a couple...I figured a TV/creative forum was better than a PC-based one...

My CRTs are finally starting to blow out and I need to get 2 x LCDs to replace them. We currently only deal in SD commercials, but some HD kit is around the corner and I might aswell get something that will work well for 1080 HD aswell. SO...

What benefit will I gain from choosing 2 x 24" LCDs with full 1920x1280 res, as oppossed to 2 x 20" at 1680x1050? I'll be using them for my apps' GUI, not as broadcast monitors. I currently use a Sony BVM for that, which I guess will be replaced with a Cinetal/eCinema or similar for broadcast output at a later date.

I guess what I'm asking is do I need to be able to view 1080 HD at 100% in my GUI...do I need the extra resolution, or is it just extra screen real estate? Sorry if this is a silly question - HD work is totally alien to me thus far.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Oh - I was thinking of either the Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP or 2407WFP, or the Apple Cinema displays (20" / 23") any opinions on any of these? There seems to be 2 version of the 20" Dell and the more expensive 'Ultrasharp' has same specs but slower response rate?!?

*Production Studio Premium CS2 / *Combustion 3
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5 monitors / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

Glenn Chan
Re: Do I need 1920x1280 res LCD monitor for GUI?
on Aug 1, 2007 at 5:53:46 pm

It shouldn't be a problem since what you see on the computer monitor is rarely accurate (e.g. video card overlays, not seeing both fields, inaccurate color, no overscan, etc.), whereas the BVM will show you what your image looks like.

2- The Dell monitors can be a good idea when they have a sale on them. Check out hot deals sites for your country.

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Aug 1, 2007 at 11:18:30 pm

I thought so..I mean presumably I'll only be viewing AE, etc in the same way I do now, except my comp/preview window will be at a smaller percentage zoom size for 1080, than for SD and all a bigger screen will enable is that window to be a little bigger and give me a bit more space, right?

I know this sounds very niave..I am just checking there's nothing else about working in HD I haven't taken into consideration?

Yep - there's a Dell sale on..precisely why I'm probably going for them instead of Apple! Also, I've read that the higer-end Del displays have the exact same screen as the Apples..

Thanks for reply Glenn.

Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5 monitors / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

RHewitt
on Aug 2, 2007 at 10:35:42 pm

Dell and Apple both use LG panels. The early Apple 23" displays were dreadful - they were all shipped with a pink cast and unevenly coloured rear illumination. The ones shipping now should be better but after being stung myself I would want to see the panels I was buying first before parting with any cash with Apple.

The Dell displays are superb but very bright - they may take some getting used to.

The beauty of the larger panels over 20" is the space for the timeline can be devoted to one display along with your source/record or comp window and all your bins/folders/effects panels on the other.

You'll still have the problem of a progessive display and the way that renders your source material. Using an external professional TV LCD for monitoring helps but I would still go for a CRT until the technology matures a little. I've seen and used the Sony and Panasonic monitors but my money would still go for a CRT.

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Aug 5, 2007 at 9:48:41 am

Thanks for info R,

I think I'm going to go with the 2 x 20" Dells...ALOT cheaper than the 24s and still much bigger than my current 17" 1024x768 CRTs. I currently have AE setup with comp/project windows and timline on the left and everythign else on the right display. A bit of extra space will be great, but if I went all the way to 2 x 24" than I'd have to find some stands for my speakers, cos they'd take over the entire desk!

The only thing I'm wondering is if there are any pro apps that specify a 1920x1280 res screen? I think Shake's specs were like that, but I'm on a PC anyway...Fusion or any 3D apps need that res? I'm just trying to plan ahead as much as poss...

I'll be keeping my Sony CRT b/cast mon for a while anyway and maybe by the time we finally upgrade to HD the LCDs will be upto scratch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]