FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD-SDI to HD-SDI dubbing

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BazinoZ
HD-SDI to HD-SDI dubbing
on Jul 31, 2007 at 5:11:19 am

Is it true that HD-SDI to HD-SDI dubbing is not just data copying (clone dubbing) as it is for SDI? I have been told there is generation loss as it use to be way back in the analog days.

I am setting up a Sony JH30 to a Sony HDW1800 via their HD-SDI connections for doing multiple dubs. Anyone had experience with this?

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Glenn Chan
Re: HD-SDI to HD-SDI dubbing
on Jul 31, 2007 at 5:41:25 am

HD-SDI to HD-SDI dubbing generally incurs generation loss since the VTRs apply compression to the signal as it goes to tape. For HD formats, much greater compression is applied compared to SD... e.g. HDCAM is heavily compressed, while digibeta is lightly compressed (and some people assume it's just uncompressed).

Depending on your application, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Some broadcasters will ask for HDCAM masters even if the post house has a HDCAM SR deck (SR is a superior format with much less compression).

Return to posts index

BazinoZ
on Aug 1, 2007 at 12:22:51 am

Thanks Glenn, thats the way it was explained to me by Sony; and the suggestion of using the higher priced HDCAM decks with the 'data' connectors for doing dubs was offered as an option but that is no help when I already have the JH30 and HDW1800.

What I do is master out of the NLE straight to the HDW1800 via HD-SDI 3 times and then any further copies needed later I will do the HD-SDI to HD-SDI cloning so anything other than the broadcast masters will only ever go 1 generation. Is that a good plan?

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Glenn Chan
on Aug 1, 2007 at 5:48:08 pm

It sounds like that would work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]