FORUMS: list search recent posts

Portable hard drive attached to DVC Pro camera

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen Hall
Portable hard drive attached to DVC Pro camera
on Jun 14, 2007 at 11:45:38 am

I was hoping to run a potable hard drive, attached to my Panasonic DVC Pro camera, to record similtaniously with the tape. I want to then use the video files from the hard drive and edit on FCP on a Mac laptop. The camera does not have fiewire out, so I need to go RCA into the hard drive, and later firewire out of the hard drive. If this makes any sense at all, I would love some recommendations on where to find such a hard drive.
Thanks in advance
Glen Hall.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Portable hard drive attached to DVC Pro camera
on Jun 14, 2007 at 2:23:28 pm

Personally, I don't think it makes a lot of sense. I think you'd be MUCH better off recording in DVCPro 50 if possible, and taking the usual FCP capture route.

The reason I say this is because the video out connection on your camera is a composite signal. It's been encoded to NTSC specs so it can be played on an NTSC monitor. Any kind of capture card would then have to decode the NTSC composite signal, and re-encode for recording on a hard drive. And that is a recipe for a bad-looking digital recording.

DVCPro 50 is much cleaner. Heck, if your camera can't do DVCPro 50, you'll probably even be better off with DVCPro 25 than a composite out/decode/re-encode path. And I almost NEVER recommend going with a 25 mb/sec codec.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 14, 2007 at 3:16:10 pm

Okay, I looked at your profile and I see you're from Australia. It doesn't change any of my advice... the only thing it changes is that your camera has a PAL composite out for PAL monitors.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Glen Hall
on Jun 16, 2007 at 5:41:16 am

Thanks for your response Dave.
I understand what you are saying there. This is for shooting news on international assignments. When time is critical and we just want to get something back via email. I want to have the option of grabbing video files immediately off a hard drive. Basically, for emergency use only, while we wait to upgrade to P2 cameras.

Return to posts index

Boyce Johnson
on Jun 18, 2007 at 7:00:29 pm

Something like this should work if you've only got composite out and you only need DV25.

http://www.nnovia.com/products.php?id=30

Return to posts index

Glen Hall
on Jun 18, 2007 at 11:04:02 pm

Thanks Boyce
That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.
Cheers

Glen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]