FORUMS: list search recent posts

Engineering School

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ZackMI
Engineering School
on Jun 3, 2007 at 7:57:04 pm

Does anyone know where you can get an education in broadcast engineering? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: Engineering School
on Jun 5, 2007 at 12:35:49 pm

While few schools have emphasis in Broadcast Engineering, a degree in Electronic/Electrical Engineering would give the background you need to do broadcasting tasks. That being said, California State University at Long Beach has such a program and is warm and wonderful in the winter compared to Michigan.

NC State University has a good EE program and UNC Charlotte and Clemson University both have good engineering schools as well. Georgia Tech takes you farther from home with an excellent engineering school and Florida State takes you even further south. If you want to stay close to home, I would consider Purdue and Michigan-Ann Arbor or Michigan State. Virginia Tech, Maryland, MIT are other possibilities depending on your math scores and experience so far.

An ACC school is always preferable a Big 10 school because they play better basketball. :-) Best of luck.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS2
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

Doug
by
on Jun 5, 2007 at 3:02:55 pm

[Del Holford] "An ACC school is always preferable a Big 10 school because they play better basketball. :-) Best of luck."

I would argue, but the way IU has been playing the past few years....I wouldn't have a leg ta stand on!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Brian Hughes
on Aug 16, 2007 at 3:04:10 pm

While a four year degree is useful if you want to be a professional engineer (CPBE) you can become a working broadcast engineer with only a 2 year degree. The Society of Broadcast Engineers (SBE) maintains a list of certified schools. A degree from one of these will usually get you the Certified Broadcast Technologist (CBT) that is very helpful in getting hired.

I must plug my own school here: Napa Valley College (Napa, CA) has an A.S. degree program that has been in operation for 35 years. We have nearly 100% placement rate and usually have to turn employers away as we can't supply enough students. You might also want to visit our student/alumni SMPTE chapter, SMPTE Chapter 11. The alumni directory can give you an idea of the types of employers that have hired our graduates.

Brian Hughes
Broadcast Engineer
Napa Valley College

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]