FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reference for UVW 1800

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TimTaylor
Reference for UVW 1800
on May 31, 2007 at 8:44:22 pm

I'm pretty sure this is a VERY basic question, but it's one I've been ignoring for over 10 years.

What's the best* way to sync up my UVW 1800 BetaCam SP deck with my NLE (FCP5)?
*By BEST, I mean "best value" or most "cost effective" while maintaining a solid clean recording?

When I loop the composite out to the ref video, I get the "NON-STANDARD REF" alarm. I just bought a black generator, hoping to solve the issue once-and-for-all, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I still get a "NO REF" alarm.

While it'd be interesting to understand the purpose and use of reference video, I'm afraid if I haven't figured it out by now, I may never "get it." I'll settle for whatever works.

Thanks,

TimTaylor, Editor
RESolution Media Services, LLC

Return to posts index

RHewitt
Re: Reference for UVW 1800
on Jun 1, 2007 at 5:14:38 am

The output of the black generator needs to go to the Ref I/P on the VTR.

The only real benefit of having a sync source is if you use RS422 to control the deck. Under RS422 the time code of the VTR is fed to the NLE.

Once correctly sync'd you can insert edit on the VTR under control of the NLE app.

Return to posts index

RHewitt
on Jun 1, 2007 at 5:16:06 am

Ooops, forgot to mention that using an external reference forces the VTR playback head/drum motor to lock to the ref signal and ensuring greater stability of playback.

Return to posts index

TimTaylor
on Jun 1, 2007 at 11:06:50 am

UPDATE: I now believe that my black generator isn't putting out any signal at all.
That would explain the "NO REF" alarm!
Any suggestions on how I can check the existance of a black video signal w/o a scope?

Thanks for the replies! Make it sound like it's no mystery at all!

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Jun 1, 2007 at 2:10:57 pm

Try digitizing a signal direct from the BB Generator. See if it comes into your FCP with burst and clean black.

Charlie

ProductionKing Video Services
Unmarked Door Productions
Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to posts index

Lance R. Gropper
on Jun 18, 2007 at 4:14:47 pm

Hello Tim:

{You are not hearing this from me -- it's your imagination}. In my old dealer days, you had to loop the Composite video IN - not out -- to the REF IN to get rid of the error. When you do this, use a very short cable -- something like 6" if you can get it.

Lance Gropper
Ciprico

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]