FORUMS: list search recent posts

DNW-A45 Betacam SX

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damon Surzyshyn
DNW-A45 Betacam SX
on Apr 24, 2007 at 5:37:04 am

I'm thinking of picking up a Sony DNW-A45 Beta SX recorder for station dubs of commercials and the odd doc I edit. I also want to use it for Beta SP and SX ingest.

I'm planning to use it with a Mac quad g5/FCP 5.1/Decklink HD extreme edit system via SDI. I currently have a Sony UVW-1800 but it does not record or playback closed captioning (important) and I'm tired of screwing around with analog sync (especially when outputting HD video that the Decklink is down-converting).

Anyone familiar with this deck and any 'gotchas' that may arise when using them?

Thanks

Damon

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: DNW-A45 Betacam SX
on Apr 26, 2007 at 9:01:53 am

Few points:
I think you still need analogue sync for this deck. But who cares?
Get a bb gen and be done with it...

The UVW can playback and record CC. Go into the menu and set the lines to 'trough' instead of blank.
The UVW CANNOT insert VITC itself, but just records it fine if it's part of the input signal

Gotcha on recording on the SX, if you do an audio insert without feeding it video too you will destroy your recording.

If you can afford it, do so. Image quality is better than from the (imho crappy) output of the uvw

hth

Bouke

http://www.videoToolShed.com
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Damon Surzyshyn
on Apr 26, 2007 at 11:03:08 am

I looked through my deck menus and it seems I can change the 'blanking
lines' to either 'mask' or 'output' and I can change the 'blanking decode'
to either 'B&W' or 'BPF'.

Should I set the 'blanking lines to 'output'?

Thanks a lot!!

Damon

--

Damon Surzyshyn
Nomad Production

damon@nomad-production.ca
http://www.nomad-production.ca

Winnipeg, Mb

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Apr 26, 2007 at 12:10:15 pm

set blankinkg lines to output and B&W
Put your monitor in HV delay, you should see the info then...

good luck,

Bouke

http://www.videoToolShed.com
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Damon Surzyshyn
on Apr 26, 2007 at 3:24:46 pm

So the UVW-1800 will playback and record closed captioning data? THis would be awesome.

BTW thanks for sharing your expertise...my broadcast engineering experience is in the 'limited to non-existant' category ;)

Damon

Return to posts index

SugarV
on Sep 6, 2007 at 6:00:49 pm

Here's a weird one for you... I've been wrestling with this issue. CC is on line 21 so, unless your deck was in Japan mode, all those line settings are irrelevant as line 21 is not accessible via the menu. The UVW-1800 will pass CC data right on through out of the factory box. Put your monitor in underscan, 16:9, or H/V delay and you'll see the data at the top of the screen.

This is where it gets really weird...

For some reason my monitors will not actually display the captions. (I have a monitor capable of doing so.) The captions appear if the tape is played through some decks and don't appear when the tape is played through others. But the information on the tape is still visible when viewed in underscan.

Anybody have an answer to this insanity?? (Sony doesn't...)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]