FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scan Lines, After Effects and Final Cut

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
maooley
Scan Lines, After Effects and Final Cut
on Mar 29, 2007 at 6:51:12 pm

I have created a nice clean animation in After Effects and imported it to Final Cut to edit at 10-bit, uncompressed. I exported and burned the file to DVD and now I am trying to play it on a 52'' LCD TV.

The problem is that I am getting all these crazy scan lines in my video. Another thing that I have noticed is that this happens all of the time, not just on my DVD. It also happens with store-bought DVDs... Especially around the edges of text, etc there are all of these lines and "ghosting" around certain objects.

I know this probably has something to do with interlacing, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions. This AE project is for a presentation for my company and i would like it to be crystal clear.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

-O

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Scan Lines, After Effects and Final Cut
on Mar 29, 2007 at 8:10:10 pm

[maooley] "Please let me know if you have any suggestions."

Sure do: reeeelax. Inhale slowly through the nose, and exhale through pursed lips. Do it three times. I'll wait.

Done? Good. Don't you feel better? Now, lemme 'splain what's goin' on.

What you are seeing has NOTHING to do with a shortcoming in your DVD. It has more to do with that monitor you're using and the NTSC television standard. How do I know that? Because it happens on all your DVDs, including the store-bought kind.

No doubt you have some movies, many of which were burned as 24p DVDs. You may not know that, but thery were. They don't have any interlacing in them; the DVD player adds pulldown -- and hence interlacing -- on playback. But you still see goofy things in them, particularly on credit rolls. There are two reasons for this. If it's a hi-def monitor, it may not like standard-def very well. Then there's the NTSC system itself, which doesn't react well to areas of high contrast.

So what can you do about it? Not a darned thing with your present gear. Sure, If you wanted to recreate the AE project in HD, then run out and get an HD authoring program, plus an HD DVD burner and player, things would look lots better. Got an extra $5,000 lying around with nothing to do?

About the only thing you CAN do is to render without fields in AE; that would be creating a 30p file, which plays just fine in NTSC. As long as you aren't using interlaced video in the project, that's no problem. And if you do indeed have interlaced video, just make sure the field order is interpreted properly.

Short of going the HD route -- or getting a computer that can play your AE file in real-time, plus a video card with RGB outs to plug into your monitor -- that's about all you can do.

So relax. If you can't do anything about it, why fret?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

maooley
Re: Scan Lines, After Effects and Final Cut
on Mar 29, 2007 at 10:07:07 pm

Thanks for the response... i'll check in to this and see what the possibilites are!

-mao

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]