FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moral question about uploaded demo clip

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zvi_Twersky
Moral question about uploaded demo clip
on Mar 20, 2007 at 10:31:49 pm

I made a site for a new video production company I am starting. I uploaded to my site a few demo clips of family occasions I have filmed and edited over the past few years.

Someone brought an issue to my attention and I wanted to ask you guys what you think of it:

The general issue is about asking the subjects on the video for their permission to use them as a demo clip on my site. But I want to devide this issue into 2 sub issues:

1. The main subject of the video... say, in a video clip of a wedding, the bride and groom.
2. The other subjects in the video... like the guests.

I think I agree that the with main subjects, it would be moraly right to ask for their permission. I don't even see a reason why not to ask.

As for the other subjects... do you think I should call each and every one to ask permission for him or her to be seen on a public site?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
Re: Moral question about uploaded demo clip
on Mar 21, 2007 at 12:37:11 am

Each country is different when it comes to what is proper in this situation. Where I live, showing people from a wedding is acceptable and legal. In other countries, it is not proper or legal.

Where do you live?

Return to posts index

Zvi_Twersky
on Mar 21, 2007 at 1:08:13 am

I live in Israel, and I WILL ask about the legal aspects and release forms needed here. Thanks.

My specific issue is quite different though... here's the case:

On my site, on the "demo clips" page, there are some demo clips of my work. There are two of them... that one of these two is a 9 minute clip of a family occation that in it, my brother is seen for about 3 seconds. Another clip is a 4 minute clip from a New Years party that has censored nudity in it. On the bottom of the clip I have written: "This clip contains censored nudity (stripper). Please be advised."

A family member called me and said that the nudity is censored ok, so there's no problem with that, but since my brother is very religious, if he knew that he was seen in a clip on a website, that on the same page has a clip with censored nudity, he might be upset.

Now, I know for a fact, that my brother, being religious and all, will never surf the net, and never know about this. Besides, he is not a main subject in the clip... AND, the censored nudity is in a different clip completely. I just don't see any reason that I should take into consideration someone being shown in a clip on the same page as something else shown in a different clip... It's not like I put censored nudity in the same clip as him!

So where are the limits?

Return to posts index

Zvi_Twersky
on Mar 21, 2007 at 10:26:07 am

I live in Israel, and I WILL ask about the legal aspects and release forms needed here. Thanks.

My specific issue is quite different though... here's the case:

On my site, on the "demo clips" page, there are some demo clips of my work. There are two of them... that one of these two is a 9 minute clip of a family occation that in it, my brother is seen for about 3 seconds. Another clip is a 4 minute clip from a New Years party that has censored nudity in it. On the bottom of the clip I have written: "This clip contains censored nudity (stripper). Please be advised."

A family member called me and said that the nudity is censored ok, so there's no problem with that, but since my brother is very religious, if he knew that he was seen in a clip on a website, that on the same page has a clip with censored nudity, he might be upset.

Now, I know for a fact, that my brother, being religious and all, will never surf the net, and never know about this. Besides, he is not a main subject in the clip... AND, the censored nudity is in a different clip completely. I just don't see any reason that I should take into consideration someone being shown in a clip on the same page as something else shown in a different clip... It's not like I put censored nudity in the same clip as him!

So where are the limits?

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
on Mar 21, 2007 at 3:52:54 pm

Three suggestions that may help you out here:

1. If you are trying to demonstrate, you have experience shooting religious/semi religious events AND events that may include nudity, then - make a website specifically for religious events and a different website for "party shooting services."

2. If it's important for you to show you are not offended shooting nudity, edit out (in the other video) the shot where your brother appears.

3. Edit out the stripper part.

If the demos are for the general public, the video demos should not be more than 5 minutes in length and should not include nudity (even censored nudity).

Return to posts index

Paul Thurston
on Mar 21, 2007 at 3:55:09 pm

Edit out the stripper part.

Return to posts index

Zvi_Twersky
on Mar 21, 2007 at 9:33:40 pm

It is important to show that I can shoot nudity, so I think your idea of making a religious and non religious page is a great idea. That will keep everyone happy. Thanks for the idea.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]