FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Standards

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dash1969
Video Standards
on Mar 13, 2007 at 10:36:57 pm

I was wondering is this the right forum for talking about Video Standards?

May God Bless You In All You Do : )

Return to posts index

cowcow
Dave LaRonde
Re: Video Standards
on Mar 13, 2007 at 11:02:24 pm

Well, that all depends on what you mean by "video standards".

If you mean video standards as in "standards conversion", like NTSC-PAL or PAL-NTSC, the folks here can help you out with the technical specifications for these standards, and they can point you in the right direction for information to actually do the conversion.

If you mean standards like "how many seconds of bars, tone and slate do I need for a program going to the Discovery Channel", they can point you in the right direction again.

If you mean "what's the difference between 100% bars and 75% bars?"...... or "what's this 7.5 IRE setup jazz all about?".... or "how can I go about using unbalanced audio on a mixer with balanced inputs".... you're definitely in the right place.

But if you mean "how can I put my home DV palmcorder video on a DVD with iDVD".... it's not so good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Mar 14, 2007 at 9:06:56 pm

Dave,
You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of television jargon.
But isn't the term video standards kind of an oxymoron anymore? There ain't no standard anymore. Or at least it seems like it.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 15, 2007 at 3:04:11 pm

[Charlie King] "You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of television jargon."

Thanks, but it's more a matter of exposure; eventually you learn some, especially if it helps in the job. Heck, if you got dumped in Romania for a couple of years, you'd learn some Romanian just to stay alive.

Then there's the now-useless stuff you also pick up.
How many folks know what head penetration means? Here's a hint: it's not dirty, and it once was an essential setting.
Or why you needed an air compressor for tape machines...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Mar 15, 2007 at 3:12:23 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "How many folks know what head penetration means?"

Oh yes, remember the little gauge you screwed onto the vacuum guide to setup the head distance so the head penetration would be within setting peramiters? Turret lenses, telops (having nothing to do with telephone operations), balops, and the list goes on.
And we are now way offf topic, I think.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Mar 19, 2007 at 2:51:02 am

[Charlie King] "remember the little gauge you screwed onto the vacuum guide to setup the head distance so the head penetration would be within setting peramiters?"

As a young sprout techie, I once accidentally hit the "standby" button and spun up the headwheel, of course while the micrometer gauge was on the rim. Knocked them little tips right off in an instant. Didn't get fired, amazingly.

Oh, Standards. So what do you want to know? Or just if this is where they can be brought up, so we can veer off and talk Old Video Guy stuff?

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Mar 21, 2007 at 1:28:31 am

Ah...
That lovely sound of the tape hitting the heads when the guides pulled in. Engineers who actually smoked while working in the tape room. The smell of a new roll of Kodak 16mm film. The smell of film cement. The acidy aroma of the film processing room. Those heady days when the first RCA TK-76 camera and Sony BVU-100 recorder showed up on the loading dock. The rush you got when you were actually trusted to use it for the first time in the field. The first time you watched an Ampex ACR-25 Cart Machine in operation. How you took a picture of it and stopped it while it was on the air-damned optical sensors in the transport chambers. The first time you saw color TV as a kid. Your trip to the local TV station, when you were a littler kid, to sit in the studio during a live cartoon show and to wave at the camera with four lenses. Your first live shot. The day the camera fell out of the door of the helicopter. (OK, so they aren't all pleasant thoughts) Your first Addy. Your first Emmy. Your first Clio. The day you knocked the station off the air by plugging a 2K into the same rack as the STL and blowing the breaker. The day you were interviewing a new prospective editor and you asked him what kinds of linear edit controllers he had experience with and he informed you that he had never actually edited tape before and that he had only edited with non-linear systems in school. Perfecting your technique operating Ampex's Editec option while editing tape to tape on "Quads"...in COLOR! Your first day actually working in a TV station...and GETTING PAID!
Man...good times. Good times...
Jeez, I'm gettin' old...
Tom

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Mar 21, 2007 at 3:13:50 pm

[Chuck Reti] "Oh, Standards. So what do you want to know? Or just if this is where they can be brought up, so we can veer off and talk Old Video Guy stuff?"

Good point Chuck, but you have to admit us old guys do have a lot of memories.

Dash? Yes this is really the place to discuss TV and Video Standards. Whatcha wanna know?

Charlie

Return to posts index

Bobbygiles
on Mar 23, 2007 at 3:55:28 pm

Im gonna have to tell my Dad about you Guys...Ya'll would get along like peanut butter and jelly.......lol
Bobby

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Mar 26, 2007 at 5:07:37 pm

[Bobbygiles] "Ya'll would get along like peanut butter and jelly"

In the immortal words of Brother Dave Gardner, "Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have peanut butter."

Charlie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]