FORUMS: list search recent posts

good small camcorder for car shoot

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scottish Editor
good small camcorder for car shoot
on Mar 12, 2007 at 8:44:22 pm

Looking for advice about a good small camera (pref MiniDv camcorder)to use in a broadcast car shoot (UK) - presenters driving/talking type of thing.
Needs to be reasonable quality 16:9. Quite fancy the cheap little single chip Sony DCR HC96 or the 3 chip Panasonic NV GS500B. They should also easily fit on an exterior mount when required.
Anyone have any experience or suggestions? Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: good small camcorder for car shoot
on Mar 12, 2007 at 9:23:14 pm

I suppose that if either camera shoots 16x9, and you've checked out the specs for things like screw mounts, and all you expect is "reasonable quality", then either camera will do. I presume you have the mounts necessary to attach it to dashboards, exteriors, etc.

The thing that concerns me is the sound: how do you intend to mic these presenters? That might make a difference in the kind of camera you get.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Scottish Editor
on Mar 12, 2007 at 9:29:40 pm

We're using a sound recordist who will provide a feed to the camera. We've already created a pilot and despite the AGC on these kind of cameras the sound was usable. There will be a fast turnround on these programmes and we can't afford the time to go double system unfortunately. The tests showed some audio pumping but it was tolerable.
I simply wondered if there was a very small widescreen camera that professionals tended to use for these shoots. My experience is pretty limited in this field.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 13, 2007 at 3:19:42 pm

[Scottish Editor] "I simply wondered if there was a very small widescreen camera that professionals tended to use for these shoots."

To my knowledge, there is not.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 13, 2007 at 3:26:17 pm

An addendum: you might want to ask this same question on the Sony DV forum on the COW. Those folks may know of a small camera that can do PAL 16x9, uses standard or easily-adapted mounts, and can record audio with no AGC.

It's a good thing you didn't add progressive-scan capabilities to your list of specifications.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 16, 2007 at 3:46:32 pm

I'll suggest this: the most effective thing I've used for in and around-car shooting is a lipstick camera. Fits anywhere inside the car and is super easy to mount. Outside the car, it's a treat, because with some gaffer tape and foam rubber, I can give you six differerent angles in the time it takes to rig one angle with conventional hand-sized camcorders and brackets and tiedowns, much less anything larger.

Do they make wide-screen lipsticks? Heck if I know. But my experience was very positive with a Sony LS-1, which can use a variety of tele or wide lenses and matched our Beta SP footage very closely. The newest ones must be even better now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]