FORUMS: list search recent posts

16:9 letterbox for tv

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dst123
16:9 letterbox for tv
on Feb 16, 2007 at 5:00:40 pm

I am working on a TV series that I filmed in native 16:9 (dvcam) using the 16:9 frame guides in the camera, and I have to deliver the program letterboxed. The first season I just did an "image re-size" in AVID to 76% with good results. My question is is this the best way of making a letterboxed image for tv? I have a concern (resolution) for viewers who have widescreen TVs and how this may appear to them, thanks in advance dt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 16:9 letterbox for tv
on Feb 16, 2007 at 6:34:26 pm

It all depends on how the viewers at home have their HD TV sets adjusted.

If they have 'em set up to show a 16x9 picture no matter what, your letterboxed video won't look any more distorted than full-screen 4x3 would look, but the picture would be understandably long & skinny. If they have sets adjusted to show 4x3 video in a 4x3 aspect ratio, the viewable picture will be in 16x9, but it'll be understandably smaller.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

dst123
on Feb 16, 2007 at 7:15:03 pm

Dave, is re-sizing the original 16:9 image in avid (76% heigth only) a viable solution then for a quality letterbox? thanks

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 16, 2007 at 9:52:56 pm

Just drop your 16x9 clips into a 4x3 timeline and they should letterbox themselves. Make sure that they are all flagged as"anamorphic"
tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]