FORUMS: list search recent posts

VHS to DVD Transfer. What is the best way to do this? A card, or a box?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Nitkiewicz Hern
VHS to DVD Transfer. What is the best way to do this? A card, or a box?
on Feb 16, 2007 at 4:22:10 am

Any hardware, boxes, or cards I could plug into my g5 tower, to transfer vhs to DVD?

Basically capture the vhs tape, and upload it to my computer, are there any cheap boxes or cards that can allow me to do this? I saw a "Pirate Box" or something like that, its about 300 dollars and can do it, but I want something as cheap as possible to get the job done...

Thanks!

Clint Nitkiewicz Hern

Return to posts index

zrb123
Re: VHS to DVD Transfer. What is the best way to do this? A card, or a box?
on Feb 16, 2007 at 8:21:08 am

I have always just connected a VHS Player to a set top DVD recorder, bypassing the computer completely.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Feb 19, 2007 at 3:38:51 pm

I agree. You can play out of your VHS deck into DVD recorders that cost about $80. I work at a public television station and we have four DVD recorders we got last year at Best Buy (open box sale) for $99 each. We use them for recording our local programs for guests, for funder's credit (the PBS commercial) verification by the client, and for burning timecode windows for independent producers to look at recorded material to make a paper edit before coming to an edit suite. Sometimes the finishing of the DVD takes longer than the recording, but it's pretty painless. You can still charge a client for the service without tying up your G5.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS2
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

Matte
on Feb 21, 2007 at 6:54:38 pm

[Del Holford] "Sometimes the finishing of the DVD takes longer than the recording,"

Depends on the brand of the burner.

My first DVD set-top box took up to 35 MINUTES!!! to finalize a :30 spot dub to DVD.

I now own 3 "Lite-On" brand cheapies ($89-$99 FULL PRICE at Best Buy) that finalize most discs in about 90 SECONDS!

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Feb 21, 2007 at 2:26:45 pm

Agree with the DVD recorder method.

If we need to edit any of it, we use a cheapie dv camera that has analog AV inputs and go right into FCP.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]