FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcasting best format

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fedodeomedo
Broadcasting best format
on Feb 7, 2007 at 12:51:54 pm

Hi all, can i know what is the best video format for broadcasting??? In fact i am using MPEG2, but a lot of my clients ask me to use AVI (DV PAL). So can any body help me please??

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Broadcasting best format
on Feb 7, 2007 at 3:02:38 pm

Broadcasting WHERE and what kind of program?

You need to provide MUCH more information.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Feb 7, 2007 at 5:45:25 pm

The best format for broadcast video currently is HD at 1080p downconverted to 1080i or 720p. This can be at 25 fps or 29.97 fps depending on the national standard where you reside. Output to D5 or HDCamSR and you have nearly uncompressed video for broadcast playback. Then transmission takes over and reduces bandwidth by extreme compression.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS2
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

FEDODEDOmedo
on Feb 8, 2007 at 8:34:02 am

we are using play box broadcasting system with black magic deckling( 720*576 25 fps pal system), as i know we have only tow choices to properly broadcast by play box system, MPEG 2 and AVI DV. So if you please what video codec type do you recommend??

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 7, 2007 at 11:00:15 pm

[Fedodeomedo] " i am using MPEG2, but a lot of my clients ask me to use AVI (DV PAL). So can any body help me please??"

Give 'em what they want... and they want an avi file using the DV codec.

I'm no big fan of the DV codec, because it's lossy. But it's still better than mpeg2, which should ONLY be used when you make DVD's for watching on TV. I would NEVER give a client something in mpeg2 if I knew the file would be duplicated and re-encoded.

Okay, if the client specifically asks for mpeg2, I'd give it to him after first trying to talk him out of it. But after that, it's his problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

FEDODEDOmedo
on Feb 8, 2007 at 8:28:25 am

in fact the mpeg2 video file is not for client use, its for broadcasting, we are using play box broadcasting system with black magic deckling, as i know we have only tow choices to properly broadcast by play box system, MPEG 2 and AVI DV. so you believe that mpeg 2 is not good for broad casting via our system. So if you please what video codec type do you recommend??

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 8, 2007 at 9:20:32 pm

[FEDODEDOmedo] "we are using play box broadcasting system ... we have only two choices, MPEG 2 and AVI DV... what video codec type do you recommend?"

When you mentioned "client" in your original post, I immediately thought to myself, "Neither of these codecs is good enough to give to a client. Clients take someone's work and use it in a different piece of software. This is not the final use of the files this guy is creating."

This case is different: you are indeed making files for their final use. This case is also easy: I would ask someone on your engineering staff what they want you to give them. They should know what works best.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

AndyW69
on Feb 12, 2007 at 9:38:46 am

What do you shoot and edit on? If its dvcam or dv the best quality will definately be a dv avi, does your broadcast go directly to air, if so a high quality mpeg2 should also be fine.

Andy

Return to posts index

Boyce Johnson
on Feb 19, 2007 at 6:55:03 pm

We recently installed the same PlayBox system. Our old server was a Matco MA600 that played MPEG2s. We intend to use DV files with the new server for a number of reasons. First of all, we've found MPEG2 to be a huge pain in the butt. Some players and/or servers will only play files encoded with certain software or hardware, using certain parameters. Producing an MPEG2 that works in all applications has proven to be impossible. Also, the MPEG2 files aren't particularily useful for anything other than playing out from the server. We edit with Final Cut Pro so we can't just dump 'em back into a timeline.

Even though it's lossy, DV is the better choice for us. We can quickly and easily dump it out of FCP. (Unless you have an older version of PlayBox, it should be able to play Quicktime .mov files as well as AVIs.) Those files also play back in other media players around the shop, and the files can be dropped into FCP timelines for editing or imported as assets into DVD Studio Pro for DVD authoring.

It depends on what editing software, DVD authoring software, and other media players/servers you have at your facility. We found it impossible to produce an MPEG2 file that would work everywhere we wanted it to. DV files are much more useful to us.

Return to posts index

Krissy
on Mar 23, 2007 at 5:33:04 pm

I have been trying to figure out the best codec for b-roll. I want to put some b-roll on an FTP server to allow TV stations to pick it up and use for broadcast. The Video I have is Digital HD and I have heard that MPEG2 is the standard compression for HD but this thread seems to say something else. I need to be able to compress the video enough so it doesn

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 23, 2007 at 11:55:01 pm

Mpeg2 is considered to be a "final use" codec.

Yeah, production houses send out big, national spots in Mpeg2... but then again, stations simply copy them into their servers and play them. They don't go cutting up spots for another use. The spots have their final use in Mpeg2.

Yeah, the HD broadcast signal is also Mpeg2... but then again, that signal goes straight to viewers' eyeballs via the TV set. The HD programming again has its final use in Mpeg2. What about Tivo and such? That doesn't count; broadcasters could care less about the picturte quality coming out of a Tivo.

Then there's your footage. You WANT people to download and cut up your footage. You WANT them to use it further. So why would you provide it to them in a final-use codec whose picture quality is not only going to deteriorate like 3-day-old corpse in the edit, but is a right royal pain in the neck to edit in the first place? Do you really want your footage to be bad-looking AND tough to edit? Didn't think so.

In your situation, I would avoid Mpeg2 like a vial of smallpox virus. But there's good news: check out DVCPro HD. Fairly good compression... very good picture quality... and no problems using it.

And welcome to the brave new world of High-Definition TV. If you're used to standard-definition files, remember that a frame of HD video contains FIVE TIMES as many pixels as a frame of SD video. Given that little tidbit, you don't have to be Einstein to figure out what happens to HD file sizes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Paulo Gordon
on May 19, 2015 at 3:18:01 am

This post is from 2007, so just wondering how much things have changed as far as codecs for broadcasting networks (HBO, Cinemax, Discovery, etc.). What do they want? I'm thinking XAVC HD 1920x1080, 4:2:2 10-bit color sampling, with 50Mbps, and at 24 or 30p ....Any thoughts? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Puhflower
on Jun 27, 2015 at 9:53:01 pm

I´m wondering the same. I work for a small university tv station and they´re finally migrating to digital (I´m from Costa Rica, we still haven´t done the analog switch-off -I think no one knows when it is going to happen-) and they´re not sure of which format editors should use.

I have many different questions (and I hope someone could help me with them), for example:

Considering that it is a small station with little storage capacity, which would be a good format to save programs in HD? I mean, many people say ProRes (which brings the question of a similar format for those working on Windows), but it can take up a lot of a space in a storage dock, especially when those programs probably won´t air anymore and are saved for video library purposes only.

Some others say that if you don´t have ProRes you could use Avid´s DNxHD, I´ve been doing some tests and I think it works great, but the smallest target bit rate I have is 36 mbps 8 bit.

Which brings me to the next (and final) question: What about BitRates for Broadcast? I read once that most broadcasting stations won´t do ok with big bitrates. Is this right? Which is a good target number for HD broadcast?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Paulo Gordon
on Jul 8, 2015 at 1:11:13 am

I was told they want a minimum of 50Mbps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]