FORUMS: list search recent posts

UVW-1800 - no audio on insert edit.

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mikelinton
UVW-1800 - no audio on insert edit.
on Feb 2, 2007 at 6:45:50 am

So, here's a problem we're having... I'm assuming there is something wrong with our UVW 1800 deck, but it might be something I'm missing.

We're running a system with a Decklink SP in it, and when printing to tape through the BMD Deck Control software (and anything else we've tried for that matter), to a specific timecode on a striped tape we get video, but no audio. We've tested the Decklink board, and it appears to be working fine (i.e. we routed the audio from the Decklink to a set of speakers to make sure the board was, in fact, playing audio when the insert edit started - and it is). I've tried everything I can possibly think of on the deck, but still no dice. Everything else is working fine - I can manual record to the deck, I can 'crash' record to the deck from Vegas (it starts recording at the current timecode), but as soon as set a time code to print to the tape and the "EDIT MODE" light fires up on the front of the UVW, suddenly the deck is ignoring the audio.

Any thoughts? Is our deck pooched? Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: UVW-1800 - no audio on insert edit.
on Feb 2, 2007 at 1:04:17 pm

There are, of course, different "choices" for INSERT edits.

V
A1
A2

and combinations of all of the above.

Since you didn't say if you have the proper channels selected for the edit,
I thought I'd better mention it.

Otherwise, do you have another "edit-controller" unit available?
If so, try connecting that to the 1800 and making an INSERT edit using that.
If the deck works with that, you'll know the problem lies elsewhere.

Return to posts index

mikelinton
on Feb 2, 2007 at 3:56:11 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have a controller to test with... or a different deck (although, I've done inserts with an SX deck with the same setup through SDI, without any issues).

As far as I know, when printing from the Decklink it is inserting V A1 A2 automatically. There are no options anywhere to change it that I'm aware of.

I've talked to DeckLink tech support, and we traced it back and the card itself seems to be doing its job. I thought the serial connector might be faulty or something, but BMD basically said 'if it is controlling the deck, its working.' It's got me stumped...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 2, 2007 at 8:21:55 pm

I wonder if anyone's fooled around with your 1800's Menu settings.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

mikelinton
on Feb 2, 2007 at 9:40:51 pm

Hmm... I've been through all the menus, and everything looks correct. Unless someone can point me to a specific setting somewhere, I can't see anything that appears to be set wrong. The deck has very low hours on it, I purchased it from a company I used to work for and it was used primarily for capture... although, I had the deck in for service several months back for a tape transport issue - I wonder if it's possible that has something to do with it? I can't recall ever doing an insert edit prior to that repair (we also used the deck primarily for playback to capture, until recently)...

Return to posts index

Matte
on Feb 2, 2007 at 9:43:04 pm

[mikelinton] "As far as I know, when printing from the Decklink it is inserting V A1 A2 automatically. There are no options anywhere to change it that I'm aware of."

Well, there MUST be those options.

How else would you be able to do a "video only" insert (which is the primary USE of the insert edit).

Sense you don't see those choices, I'm guessing that is your problem, that the audiot tracks are not activated.

That's about all I can offer at this distance.

Return to posts index

cow
mikelinton
on Feb 2, 2007 at 10:04:33 pm

Well, there aren't any options for what you want to record to the tape in the BMD Deck Control software... It's pretty straight forward - you load your clip into the software, tell it the time code you want the video 'put' to, it cue's the tape, pre-rolls, and dumps your audio and video down to the deck.

In Sony Vegas, you can select A1 A2 V - all 3 are selected, but still no audio... again, the DeckLink IS playing the audio back, but somewhere along the way the UVW isn't engaging the audio channels. So, you are right - it does seem to be that the deck isn't being told (or isn't listening) to record A1 and A2. I tried it on a tape that had video and audio on it, and it inserted video, but did nothing with the audio.

As I mentioned, I've dumped to BetaSX via SDI on the same system, using the same methods, and it worked fine (although the audio was embedded in the SDI). The DeckLink outputs SDI, component, XLR and SPDIF audio (for monitoring) at at the same time, regardless of which combination you are actually recording.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]