DigiBeta and Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
imvarma
DigiBeta and Final Cut Pro
on Jan 25, 2007 at 3:34:10 pm

1st Post Hi All,
Question:
I've been editing with Final Cut Pro and the DVCAM format for many years now but I have been asked about producing broadcast quality video on DigiBeta for a SKY Channel.
I'm completely new to Broadcast quality video so my question is if I were to use an HDV camera and edit in Final Cut, what equipment do I need to ensure all colors etc are correct and the video will be accepted, what deck is recommended to output to 16:9 FHA DigiBeta and can I output directly from Final Cut to this?

Thanks for any help! :)

http://www.imvarma.co.uk

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: DigiBeta and Final Cut Pro
on Jan 30, 2007 at 11:00:18 pm

Sorry for the long lag time in response.

If you haven't done so already, I'd ask on the FCP foum about proper equipment. A waveform monitor and a vectorscope are basics. You shouldn't need an additional deck to go to Anamporphic Digibeta; I've made video in Anamorphic BetaSP from FCP; I imagine the process is similar. I'd guess the only requirements are a Digibeta deck and the appropriate capture cards for FCP... but ask about that, too.

I have my own opinions on HDV: if you're doing simple editing, HDV is fine. If you're going to do chroma key work, run away from HDV! It's just as much fun to pull a totally-convincing key from HDV as it is from DV... which is to say, "no fun at all". HDV and DV share the same loathsome color resolution, so it's hell on earth to get a good key.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

AndyW69
Re: DigiBeta and Final Cut Pro
on Feb 12, 2007 at 9:59:03 am

I have done and a lot of others will have done, which is to produce a dvcam master and have it transferred to digibeta. The sky channels will probably be fine with that if you are shooting on DV (not sure about HDV).

You will need to make sure you have broadcast safe levels and colours, your sound needs to be legal also with a peak no higher than 6dB above -20dB. Your timecodes will also need to be set to the requirements of the broadcaster classicly you may need a clock to start at 09:57:00:00 and run 2 mins of bars and tones, then 30 secs of black then a 30 sec clock with the programme starting at 10:00:00:00. Ad breaks need to come at the correct time and again the correct gap and clocks need to be there too. If you need further help post me you tel number and I can talk you through it

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]