FORUMS: list search recent posts

Beta SP to Mini DV

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
finalcutpro78
Beta SP to Mini DV
on Jan 22, 2007 at 12:35:16 am

I have a beta SP tape that I need to transfer the footage to a digital format. Is there a way to run it into my mini DV cam and record it from a beta SP deck? Would S-Video work?

Return to posts index

Rob Forsythe
Re: Beta SP to Mini DV
on Jan 22, 2007 at 1:36:45 pm

[finalcutpro78] "Is there a way to run it into my mini DV cam and record it from a beta SP deck?" Yes (see below).

[finalcutpro78] "Would S-Video work?" Yes, again, great way to do it.

The "yes" is conditional to IF your camcorder HAS an "input" function.
Some do, many do not.

What brand and model do you have?

One way to check is to put the camcorder in "VTR" (playback) mode, but do NOT press "PLAY".
Connect your BSP's S-Video cable into the camcorder's S-Video output (yes, OUTPUT).

Play a BSP tape and see if the image pops up on your camcorder's LCD or viewfinder.
If so, connect the AUDIO from your BSP into the camcorder's audio outputs (yes, OUTPUTS).

If you are a broadcast pro, you can (or can FIND someone who can) get the proper cables and adapters to make that all work.
You're ready to make your dub by putting the camcorder into "Record" and playing the BSP.

Post back if you have more Q's.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 22, 2007 at 3:41:50 pm

I see from your name that you use FCP.

If it's at all possible, I would see if there is another FCP user nearby who could capture the video for you. Yes, it would be more expensive, but you have to balance the expense against the elimination of a generation of degredation in quality: would it be worth it to you?

And you haven't said anything about getting your completed work OUT of FCP. Will it have to go back to Beta SP?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

finalcutpro78
on Jan 22, 2007 at 3:46:14 pm

The Beta deck is not hooked up to a computer (FCP) AND it does not have an S - Video output :(

Return to posts index

Rob Forsythe
on Jan 22, 2007 at 5:16:37 pm

[finalcutpro78] "The Beta deck... does not have an S - Video output :("

You can still use the composite connections in the way I described earlier (just hook the BSP composite out to the camcorder's composite (yellow) output jack.

Composite will not give you as "clean" a transfer as "S-Vid" or component, but it will certainly work for many applications.

(I don't know what you're trying to do.)

But from your posts, it seems that you may not be experienced/comforable enough technically to make the proper connections (especially for audio, which can be a problem due to such big differences in LEVELS from "pro" gear to "non-pro" gear.)

We still don't KNOW if your camcorder can even PERFORM an input dub.

If its too much hassle, as was suggested, pay someone with the proper gear to make the dub for you.

;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]