FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 vs DVCPRO

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juanie
MPEG2 vs DVCPRO
on Jan 18, 2007 at 10:45:40 pm

Hi,
I have a client who wants to know the differences between the two formats and which one is better. I orginally wanted DVCPRO50 becuase it is a good format for editing. The client is saying they want MPEG2@30MBPS.
What I do know is that MPEG a better at compressing file size, it is the format for broadcast transmission and most likely be around longer than any the tape formats. Anyone else have any other reason to pick MPEG2
This would be a great help in getting the right file format for the client

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: MPEG2 vs DVCPRO
on Jan 19, 2007 at 12:08:30 am

[Juanie] "I orginally wanted DVCPRO50 becuase it is a good format for editing. The client is saying they want MPEG2@30MBPS."

Um, sorry, but that's not much information to go on. What are you doing that you want to use DVCPro50? What is the client doing that they want MPEG2?

I presume you're making a spot or a show for the client, but I don't know that for sure. Oh, what the heck, let's go on that presumption.

You can edit in any darned codec that you want. When it comes time to deliver to the client, give your completed work to the client in the form he or she wants: MPEG2@30MBPS. How tough can it be to export your completed work in that particular codec at that particular bit rate?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Jan 19, 2007 at 4:33:41 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "How tough can it be to export your completed work in that particular codec at that particular bit rate?"

Yup.

DVCPro 50 is a acquition product. MPG2 is a compression codec that is used for several playback systems. So in essence they are almost like comparing apples and oranges, or is that Dogs and cats? Next question would be what medium does he want? CD? Data DVD? Video DVD?
I get the feeling he was talking to someone and is basically name dropping because wants you to think he knows waht he is talking about.

Anyhow hope you get the point.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Matt Larson
on Jan 24, 2007 at 5:31:57 pm

Well XDCAM HD can be MPEG2@35Mbps, and many people compare that (some favorably, some not) to DVCProHD 100Mbps. You can edit in both, but I would choose DVCProHD over XDCAM HD to edit (In FCP anyway).

Regardless, if the footage is native XDCAM HD, you CAN edit natively, although many people digitize this to DVCProHD for editing ease. I would never convert footage to XDCAM HD for editing though.

Or, more likely, look around you edit room and see if any of your magazines have a headline on the cover like: "MPEG2@30MBPS is the next DV!"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]