FORUMS: list search recent posts

translation?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antony Buonomo
translation?
on Jan 11, 2007 at 10:18:42 am

Hi there.

Someone at the AE forum suggested that I post this here. Any help greatly appreciated. I've just had the following forwarded to me (together with a graphic) as a technical guide for some mo-graph stuff I am designing for a NTSC/PAL programme. I am supposed to deliver in HD, but their main broadcast will be 16:9 letterboxed NTSC

Can anyone with the experience of this workflow give me a few words of advice... and a translation?

------

"... requires that lower third and other graphic elements containing text not interfere with the network ID keyed over the signal. Consequently, the following areas of the picture may not contain text information. All horizontal measurements are given in microseconds, with the start of the measurement at the end of the last cycle of horizontal color burst.

No text shall fall into the space between 38.7 microseconds and 50.0 microseconds between lines 190 and 243 (field 1) NTSC, lines 226 and 290 (field 1) PAL. This space represents a large portion of the lower right corner of the television image. In addition, to prevent interference with international ID's, text elements shall not be placed between 41.3 microseconds and 50.3 microseconds between lines 34 and 81 (field 1) NTSC, lines 41 and 96 (field 1) PAL."

-----

cheers

A

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: translation?
on Jan 12, 2007 at 4:24:53 pm

You would need access to a scope and be able to magnify it to count the lines.

A simpler way would be to record their air signal, note where the network bug/animation appears and use that as the template for avoiding that area with your graphics/text material. Remember that the letterbox is going to give you black bars top & bottom and so in many cases your text/graphics in the lower third of your picture will not appear in their bug because their bug is over the black bar and not active video. HTH

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS2
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]