FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Pre-tapes to TV Station

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Little Bobby
HD Pre-tapes to TV Station
on Nov 16, 2006 at 4:35:40 am

We do a bi-weekly call-in session with our head-honcho doctor with a local news station. On days when the doctor cannot be present, we run pre-tapes. The show's producer let us know that they are making the switch to HD and want our winter 2006/07 pre-tapes in HD. We usually shoot our pre-tapes on Beta or DVCPro or even sometimes from our old Sony MX-7 broadcast cameras. We recently got two HVX-200s as a stepping stool into HD (our executive producer is squirmish about HD still), but as of right now, we are either down-resing the video for SD or we are backing it up on hard drives for later use. Now, without spending 20 grand on a DVCProHD deck, how are we going to get HD content to the stations producer? I have never worked for a tv station so I don't know their capabilities, but I have a feeling that a data DVD with the mastered HD files on it will be sufficient. We have the ability to do dual-layer, i am guessing since we usually have 6-10 pre-tapes a season, this is how we will have to go. Does anyone know if their is a cheaper alternative to DVCProHD or maybe if there is a different way we need to deliver our content?

Thanks!!!

~Little Bobby

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
Re: HD Pre-tapes to TV Station
on Nov 16, 2006 at 5:25:57 pm

How about an external hardrive ? I don't think dual layered DVDs are going to cut it for space requirements.

Vince

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Nov 16, 2006 at 7:17:37 pm

Hi
Are you assuming the station is DVC ProHD or have they told you that? We are community licensed PBS member and we have HDCam and D5-HD.

How long are the Dr. Doodah segments? At 6MB per frame x 30 fps you would use 180 MB/s on a tif sequence to DVD, which holds 4.7 GB. So for 300 seconds (5 minutes) you would use 54 GB. That is why HD tape uses compression in the range of 2: or 3:1.
If you are shooting in HDV, are you editing on Final Cut Pro?
If so, why not re-record on the camera and take the tape/camera to the TV station. Then you could firewire it out to one of their edit stations and let them transcode it to their format. That provides a temporary solution until your Exec Prod realizes production is going to HD and if you want your product on a station, he'll have to shell out some shekels to make it a decent broadcast product. There already is some controversy about using HDV in broadcast situations but at this point maybe it won't affect you.

Good luck.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS2
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

Boyce Johnson
on Nov 20, 2006 at 9:42:14 pm

They're not using HDV. The HVX200 uses DVCPROHD. Also, it only records DV on tape. DVCPRO50 and DVCPROHD are recoreded on P2 cards or a hard drive via FS-100 or similar device so you couldn't record back to tape on the camera.

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Nov 21, 2006 at 3:46:49 pm

Hey Lil Bobby,

You must comply with the broadcasters standards and deliverables and not make up your own which will suit your budgetary needs.

Call or write for the specific deliverable spec's from the station or broadcast outlet.

Seek out a facility where you can dub the material to the necessary tape format for delivery.

Who said HD was going to be cheap?

Oh yeah some brainwashed producer who believed all the marketing hype and BS.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]