FORUMS: list search recent posts

Non-linear editing office HELP

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lesante Jr.
Non-linear editing office HELP
on Nov 2, 2006 at 10:23:14 pm

My editing office uses the same air conditioning and heating unit as the sales department.

When they say it's too cold, I say it's fine because of the heat that my drives and computer puts out. So when they put the heat on, I bake in my room and I'm afraid my equipment will overheat.

I can close the vent so I don't get hot air but then I won't get cool air either and it will still be hot because of the equipment.

So, with that being said, is there a quiet unit I can get that can throw some cool air at my drives and computer and maybe even me?

TIA

Sam

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: Non-linear editing office HELP
on Nov 3, 2006 at 3:35:12 pm

Google "free standing air conditioner"
You'll find a Soleus model 9000 btu for $450

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS2
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
Re: Non-linear editing office HELP
on Nov 6, 2006 at 8:40:07 pm

I feel your pain (actually, your heat.) Same problem in my office, and it gets worse in the cooler months when the building A/C shuts off. Our solution ended up being one of the freestanding A/C units in my office, which cools the room just fine. The problem is your use of the word "quiet". Between that unit and a couple of extra fans to circulate the air, there's a pretty high level of "white noise".

If your boss/company owner/whoever is paying the bills will understand this and work with you, see if you can find a unit you can mount above the drop ceiling and then duct it into your office. But plan for the worst-case scenario of a water leak and make sure to NOT mount it directly above any equipment, tape storage, etc. It happens (trust me on this one.) I had this setup at a previous job, and there was not the noise level I have now, nor did I have to empty the condensation bucket every day. It will cost more money, but IMHO it's dollars well spent.

Best of luck!

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]