FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony DNW-A45 Hybrid Deck - Deleting files on hard drive?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
taburineagle
Sony DNW-A45 Hybrid Deck - Deleting files on hard drive?
on Oct 26, 2006 at 1:58:35 pm

Hello! I work as an editor at a local TV news station, and as of April this year, we got in 2 (somewhat used) Sony DNW-A45 Hybrid Betacam SX tape decks, mainly for the purpose of editing SX/SP material for newscasts. The hard drive function of the deck is a huge timesaver, as every tape we edit has a dated countdown to let the tape operators know that they're rolling the right tape, as well for archival purposes, and it really saves time having to do 30 of those a night when you just switch over to the HD and use the countdowns on the drive. My problem is that over 5 or 6 months of storing video on and using the hard drive, I've completely filled it up. There's maybe 3 minutes of the whole 40 minutes that is stored on the drive that I have any interest in keeping, the rest is old video that I have no use for any more. Since we got the decks *without* user manuals, there's no instructions for how to delete the video on the drive (I've been trying to for the last 3 months to be honest), and even though I've *found* the menu item for deleting a file, (holding down the delete key on the left of the control panel and selecting the drive on the source selector on the right), the deck *will not let me delete anything*! It only says DELETE *OFF. If you hit the menu button on the control panel, you get an itemized list of all of the files on the drive, but same problem there - hit the SET button to delete the file, and it comes up with DELETE *OFF - no soap there... I've looked all over the place on the deck, but I can't figure out how to turn the delete function *on* (there are menu options if you hit the menu button, but they only give one option, *OFF, and that isn't really helpful...), and with no user manual to consult (and absolutely no help on this subject on the net that I've found - I checked the Cow archives and didn't see anything on this issue, either...) I'd really love it if someone could shed some light on how to do something that at least *seems* like it should be simple enough... Am I hitting the wrong key, is there some hidden menu item or startup key that I'm supposed to turn on or hit, or (I really hope not) is this something that needs a more drastic action, like flipping a dip switch on a board in the deck somewhere? Honestly, it doesn't make sense to have a hard drive if you can't even delete your own content!

Thanks in advance for help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]