FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC Monitor Purchase - Suggestions?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
glaphics
NTSC Monitor Purchase - Suggestions?
on Oct 18, 2006 at 7:00:41 am

I am looking to buy a NTSC monitor to review my video graphics, editing and so on.

I've been planning to purchase an SD NTSC monitor like the type you'd find in a typical production house, 10-17 inches, 600+ scan lines etc.

basically I need to be able to preview my clear beauitful interlaced product before releaseing to clients.

My question is is there an NTSC Monitor that you recommend in a $700 - $1100 price range?

Second - has a digital and/or flat screen display, alternative come to market that you'd recommend?

thanks in advanced
-JSJ

thanks!

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
Re: NTSC Monitor Purchase - Suggestions?
on Oct 19, 2006 at 7:13:40 am

[glaphics] "... My question is is there an NTSC Monitor that you recommend in a $700 - $1100 price range?"

In your price range, the Sony PVM-14L1 and PVM-14L2 are good, basic monitors.

I own a JVC TM-H150C monitor with the optional SDI interface, and I think it does an OK job for what it costs.

If composite or S-video inputs are appropriate for your application (e.g.: you don't require component or SDI video inputs), I think the Sonys are more accurate compared to the similarly-priced JVCs.

B&H and others sell them:
http://tinyurl.com/vtu42

All the best,

- Peter

Return to posts index

glaphics
Re: NTSC Monitor + Video Card Purchase - Suggestions?
on Oct 20, 2006 at 9:36:28 pm

[Peter]- If composite or S-video inputs are appropriate for your application (e.g.: you don't require component or SDI video inputs)
I think the Sonys are more accurate compared to the similarly-priced JVCs.

Thanks Peter, the sony monitor (Sony PVM-14L1) looks good, but I realized another question I neglected to add.

I'm editing in final cut, from my G5, will any midrange video card work for video out, or is there one that anyone recommends.

FYI my goal is to be able to view my edits, graphics etc as they will appear for NTSC/PAL broadcasts

Thanks again.
-JSJ

Return to posts index

glenn chan
on Oct 24, 2006 at 2:34:47 am

Firewire out and use the composite connection to your monitor. This will let you see chroma crawl and cross-color artifacts. On the Sony Monitors, the 358trap filter affects how the composite signal is processed... pick the setting that gives you more resolution and chroma crawl.

The reason for using the worst quality connection is so you can check chroma crawl at the same time. In rare occaisions you may find that certain patterns or texture really bring it out.

If you want a good quality signal into the monitor, then SDI and component are best, followed by S-video, followed by composite.

Return to posts index

glenn chan
on Oct 24, 2006 at 2:35:32 am

You can also hook up multiple connections to the monitor... they have input switches that will let you pick what signal you want to monitor.

Return to posts index

glaphics
Re: NTSC Monitor - Suggestions?
on Oct 31, 2006 at 8:56:53 am

Thanks Glenn, and I hope this is a last question on this:
I was thinking about the best/cheapest way to get video out to the ntsc monitor,
I'm expecting I can go out Firewire through a mini dv/dvcam VTR like the DSR-11 and then play thru to the monitor.

Does that seem as straight and plausable as I think it is.
I apologize if this has been covered, I looked in the archive and I couldnt find anything that directly covered this.
thanks again
-JSJ

Return to posts index

glenn chan
on Nov 3, 2006 at 9:12:03 pm

A miniDV camcorder would work too.

The Canopus ADVC converter boxes will do a slightly better job, since they add proper setup to the signal (they put analog black level at 7.5IRE instead of 0IRE). This capability/feature is omitted on a lot of DV equipment (like the DSR11) for cost reasons I believe. It's not a very big deal though, since you can simply calibrate your monitor (or set it to look for OIRE black level; it's a menu setting). The only nibble is if you want multiple devices feeding into your monitor... i.e. your DVD player may have black level at 7.5IRE.

Return to posts index

glaphics
on Nov 7, 2006 at 8:58:57 pm

Got it. Wound up getting an HDV VTR, thanks again Glenn!
-JSJ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]