FORUMS: list search recent posts

pan/tilt remote control cameras

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
slackermak
pan/tilt remote control cameras
on Oct 12, 2006 at 3:21:39 pm

I need some advice from you broadcast guys.

I am trying to get a number of local governments to wire up their meeting rooms with remote control pan/tilt cameras and equipment so that they can easily videotape their meetings for playback over the local government access cable system. Easy is the keyword here, because I know from experience that they will have lots of excuses for not doing this, and I want to make it possible for someone to throw a switch and be ready to record.

I have installed a prototype system in the library meeting room. I used SONY EVI-D100 cameras (4 of them) and I think the results are very good. Resolution is not what it could be, but I don't need to read the writing on the participant's notepads--I just want a clear picture of the participants.

The meeting rooms in question tend to be not huge, mostly somewhat evenly lit (but not brightly lit) with flourescent tubes and set up with the board members in the traditional horseshoe configuration.

So. Here is my question: would I get better results with BRC-300 cameras?

Here are the specs:

EVI-D100: 1 chip: 1/4" Super HAD CCD. 768x494 effective pixels. 470 tv lines resolution minimum illumination: 3.5 lx (F1.8) S/N more than 50 dB

BRC-300: 3 chip: 1/4.7 IT advanced HAD CCD 768x494 effective pixels 600 tv lines resolution minimum illumination: 7 lx (F1.6) S/N 50 dB

Sorry for the length of this post, but it looks to me like the 1 chip camera might actually do a better job because of its light sensitivity(the tradeoff being that it would be less sharp looking because of the lower resolution). Your thoughts please!

Thanks for any help.

-mak

Return to posts index

DavePotts
Re: pan/tilt remote control cameras
on Oct 12, 2006 at 6:35:38 pm

Hey Mak,

Our videoconferencing environment here is pretty well lit, so as a result, the light response of the 300's we demo'd last year wasn't too much of an issue. But what I can tell you is that they are not the quietest robotic cams around, and in our situation, we wanted to mount them upside down, which means flipping a switch that inverts the image, and unfortunately causes a slight delay in the signal. The motors seemed very solid, however, and you'd probably get alot longer life out of them (the motors) than the D100's.

Hope this helps.

Dave Potts
Combustion/Lightwave/Photoshop Monkey
UNC Charlotte Broadcast Communications

Return to posts index

slackermak
Re: pan/tilt remote control cameras
on Oct 16, 2006 at 3:36:47 pm

Thanks, Dave

Yes, it's helpful.

-mike

Return to posts index