FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking to buy jib...

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MediaBLITZ
Looking to buy jib...
on Oct 5, 2006 at 12:59:48 am

...for a small studio. Right now we are setting up and tearing down a 30 foot jib (less a couple sections) to use in this tiny studio. It takes a day to tear down and set up so we figure we will save money and resources by making a purchase.

Okay, so it needs to handle a Sony D-35 with VTR. Obviously what we are doing is way overkill. I was thinking maybe a dolly (on track perhaps - about 4-5 feet) with a small jib that would go 8 feet high (ABSOLUTE TOPS - will settle for less).

Who are some good vendors to make this kind of a purchase? My Google searches seem to keep coming up with rental houses.

Chicago area, if it matters.

Thanks

Have a COW, man.

Return to posts index

Jon Zanone
Re: Looking to buy jib...
on Oct 5, 2006 at 11:42:33 am

Check out Losmandy (http://www.porta-jib.com/) and thier porta jib. I've had one for about 8 years, and it's rock solid. I really like thier flexi track - brilliant!

Jon

"The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess. But He's pretty sure you're F%$#*D!"

Return to posts index

MediaBLITZ
on Oct 5, 2006 at 4:20:17 pm

Thanks, but I'm looking for something a bit heavier than that - Fisher/Chapman type.

Have a COW, man.

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
on Oct 5, 2006 at 6:55:27 pm

Unless you're shooting with a Panny rig or flying a Wescam, the Chapman Lenny or Fisher 23 is leased overkill from what you describe as your curret set-up.

You might look at the Intela-jib from CSS. Alan Gordon sells it for around $6,500.00 check out the link:

http://www.alangordon.com/s_jibarms_intelajib.html

It'll fly 80lbs at 10' extention, 120lbs at 6' (which is long enough for most small studio work.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 11, 2006 at 3:51:33 pm

I've only ever played with a small Matthews jib on a doorway dolly. I think about twelve feet is what it goes up to, yet it is small enough to carry in a van when broken down. Sturdy sucker, no flex, carries a full size betacam. For something lighter, maybe the cobracrane, there are like a million people selling jibs these days, most of them I think are pretty flimsy though.

If you get the right kind of dolly for it, you can dispense with track and just set the wheels for the curve you want. Very flexible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]