FORUMS: list search recent posts

commercials specifications

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JamieWorsfold
commercials specifications
on Sep 5, 2006 at 9:33:57 pm

I've got a freelance job coming up which may (or may not) need me to work on a commercial or two. Now, I've been working as an editor for a few years doing broadcast work, but up until now I've not been called on to do a commercial.

Are there any pitfalls I need to watch out for in regards to specifications etc? Obviously there's the normal title/action safe issues, 10 sec still at the end etc. But any other little oddities I should know about?

By the way, I'm in the UK. :)

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: commercials specifications
on Sep 5, 2006 at 10:04:01 pm

[JamieWorsfold] "10 sec still at the end etc."

Nothing like this in the USA.

Do you mean a 10 sec. FREEZE-FRAME of the last shot, or 10 sec. of BLACK following the spot? (The latter might be useful, the former, not so much.

I also understand that there's a tradition of a 30-second COUNTDOWN before the spot.

I can't understand why a COMMERCIAL would need a 30 SECOND PRE-ROLL... EVER!

A program that was rolling down a network feed might use a long countdown, but WHO would CUE at TV spot 30 seconds before the first audio/video?

OK,I'm done. ;-)
As Dave said, just ask someone where the spot will be played, as our opinions don't count.

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Sep 6, 2006 at 4:29:55 am

[Matte] "I can't understand why a COMMERCIAL would need a 30 SECOND PRE-ROLL... EVER!"

Whoa. Chill!

"Back in the day..." a 5 or even 10 sec preroll was not uncommon, what with those coal-fired machines needing some lockup time. Not a problem now, of course. A reason for a 15 or 30 sec long slate, usually a fullscreen billboard with the actual countdown from 10, was to assist the operators who had to cue up spots on tape. The longer slate was helpful when fast forwarding and rewinding as it provided a short few seconds of readable information as it zipped by.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Sep 6, 2006 at 11:58:50 am

[Chuck Reti] ""Back in the day..." a 5 or even 10 sec preroll was not uncommon, what with those coal-fired machines needing some lockup time. Not a problem now, of course. A reason for a 15 or 30 sec long slate, usually a fullscreen billboard with the actual countdown from 10, was to assist the operators who had to cue up spots on tape. The longer slate was helpful when fast forwarding and rewinding as it provided a short few seconds of readable information as it zipped by."

Not quite.

I was an editor of 2" Quad videotape even before the days of Ampex "Editec".

A) I didn't say there was no need for a 10-sec pre-roll countdown/slate (we used 7-sec lock-up pre-roll). I said there was no need for a 30-second pre-roll slate.

B) In the days before 1" and 3/4" tape, there was no way to SEE ANYTHING as it "zipped by".
The only clue you had was listening to the audio during FF and RW.

THIS is why I can't see why anyone EVER needed a 30-secound COUNTDOWN on a COMMERCIAL, even back in the day on "ancient" commercials.

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Sep 6, 2006 at 3:30:58 pm

[Matte] "I was an editor of 2" Quad videotape even before the days of Ampex "Editec"."

Me too, though didn't use the Smith block but once or twice. I do have a screwtop can with dried up Edivue in it.

[Matte] "I said there was no need for a 30-second pre-roll slate."

Yes, You are Correct, sir. I failed to pick up on the distinction.

[Matte] "In the days before 1" and 3/4" tape, there was no way to SEE ANYTHING as it "zipped by".
The only clue you had was listening to the audio during FF and RW."

I was trying to forget about Quad spot reels :-)
That's why we used to put a LF, 50cycle (Hz, for the kids) or so tone under the slate. To HEAR it as it zipped by.

[Matte] "30-secound COUNTDOWN on a COMMERCIAL, even back in the day on "ancient" commercials."

The on-air directors drank more back then?

C,

Return to posts index

Matte
on Sep 6, 2006 at 10:49:33 pm

[Chuck Reti] "The on-air directors drank more back then?"

I've seen some guys in "Master", even today, who could make short work of a bottle.

;-)

War stories of the good-old, bad-old days!

Why, some day we could talk about needing to THREAD a 16mm FILM CHAIN for playing the "Million Dollar Movie", or the "Creature Feature" or...
Oh heck, now its time for my NAP!

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Sep 18, 2006 at 11:31:32 am

I was working during a football (not soccer) live feed through an un-named network's Master Control... the TD (not at the stadium, we're at NOC) had been "perking" up his coffee with a splash o' Jack... we go to break, everyone leans back for a moment. Remember this is a NOC, with lots of other feeds accessible, and the TD happens to be a fan of another team that playing on another major network. So we come back from break, take the live feed... recue stuff from the break... lean back again... and the Exec. Producer (who just happened to be in the NOC that day) starts shouting "THAT'S NOT OUR GAME!! @*^&%$#".... You can imagine the rest. Oh yeah, to keep this on topic, this was during the era of inserting spots into the program 1" reels. Grin... another time I'll tell the story of what happens when the take-up capstan motors fails on a one-hour show reel that's on-air....

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-Crayola
G5/DP, 10.4.7, 3.5GB RAM, FCP 5.1.something, Aja IO, Huge 320R/raid3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]