FORUMS: list search recent posts

Low end broadcast quality camera

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Taylor
Low end broadcast quality camera
on Aug 18, 2006 at 1:56:40 pm

Looking for advice on low end broadcast quality camera.
Hope this is the right forum for this:
I've got a client that wants to shoot their own testimonials on the spot when they make a purchase for use in their television commercials. Any sub $1000 DV models have a good enough picture quality for this purpose? Or do I need a three chip camera for broadcast quality(which I know is subjective).

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: Low end broadcast quality camera
on Aug 18, 2006 at 2:11:24 pm

Broadcast quality is certainly subjective but the better the image sampling in the camera the better the air quality will be. In the commercials where the testimonials will air, what camera will be used to shoot the paid talent? At around $6000 the Sony HDV camera makes great pictures. At $3000 the image is nearly as good without pro features on the camera (audio input being an important one). At less than $1000 it isn't real likely the images will match up to the rest of the commercial. If these images need to be pristine go with the more expensive camera. If you add filters and effects in post to the testimonials a less expensive camera will do. CSI NY uses DV for flashback scenes which are heavily treated in post so they don't need to match the rest of the show by their nature.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS2
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

Doug
by
on Aug 18, 2006 at 4:00:56 pm

Another way to go.....

we used to have a client (used car dealership) who wanted his whole spot to be testimonials. We set a date, he contacted some customers who had each bought several cars from him, and ordered several pizzas....he made an event of it. We set up the cameras, taped a LOT of testimonials, and made several good one minute spots out of it.

It was professionally done, everyone had a good time, and he even sold a car while we were taping and got a testimonial from the buyer.

Doug

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Aug 18, 2006 at 4:07:29 pm

David,

The best camera in the world will suck if you don't use it right. If you light your shot correctly any DV camera can work, I used to shoot low-budget car commercials with a little Sony DSR-11 one chip camera, about $1100 6 years ago.

But you also have to make sure all your levels and specs are set correctly in your NLE before you go out to tape.

Understand that a 3 chip DV camera could look a lot better, (see Dave's thoughts about lighting, microphones etc.) and because of all the HDV cameras coming out, there are a slew of used 3 chips on eBay.

Return to posts index

David Taylor
on Aug 25, 2006 at 3:42:47 pm

Thanks for your responses, I guess I should have covered more in my first post. I was actually looking for equipment product ideas, i.e. the sony mini dv cam etc.
I appreciate the advice but I'm well aware of the drawbacks to letting amateurs do the shooting. Certainly audio will be the first thing to address and I made that clear to the client. Even an inexpensive lav is better than even the best built-in shotgun. Anyway, even the worst video can be squeezed down in a box and the "video recorder viewfinder" effect applied to it. This client is a good two and a half hours drive and if they shoot their own and mail it over to me, I'm happy!

So, any ideas about which, if any low end cameras will work better than others? Low end wireless Mic? Azden? How about the sony cams that record onto DVD?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]