FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200 1080 progressive out of avid

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel A. Martin
HVX200 1080 progressive out of avid
on Aug 1, 2006 at 2:12:32 pm

we recorded from panasonic HVX200 a 1080i 25P signal. We have been told by panasonic this is progressive footage, however to import in avid you need to have an interlace project. How do we output progressive footage out of avid from this interlace project? Is the footage actually progressive or interlaced? Do we just output as normal and the footage will come out progressive?

Regards

Sam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: HVX200 1080 progressive out of avid
on Aug 1, 2006 at 3:47:38 pm

I'd ask this question on the COW's HDV or Hi-Def forum, whichever is applicable for your camera. The folks there should have had plenty of experience capturing to an Avid.

As I understand it, Panasonic has a proprietary method of recording HD video; you may need a special codec or other snippet of software to do it... they'll know for sure on other forums.

As for the fields-frames issue -- at least in standard-definition, broadcast TV, PAL or NTSC -- it's all a matter of when you scan the two fields. Both systems have interlaced video. The typical way an interlaced image is created works like this: a camera scans one field, then the next; the recording device dutifully records one field, then the next. The two fields are separated IN TIME; in PAL, the separation is 1/50 second and in NTSC, the separation is about 1/60 second. The time separation manifests itself when you pause on a frame containing a lot of motion: you see jitter from the two fields.

However, if you happen to scan both fields at the SAME INSTANT, then record one field and then the next, you've effectively created a progressive scan image. Why? Because the two fields are NOT separated in time. You don't see jitter when you pause on a frame containing fast motion. You haven't violated any of the rules of either system, but you still get something that looks like one complete frame rather than two interlaced fields.

Make sense?

But as I say, you're going to have to ask about Panasonic's scanning and recording scheme; I'm unfamiliar with how it works.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]