FORUMS: list search recent posts

animated graphics On the air with their transparency

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
roussel T
animated graphics On the air with their transparency
on Jul 31, 2006 at 12:28:08 am

Hi there,
Im in my second year at school in broadcast television and i need a work around to get accuratly my animated graphics On the air with their transparency. The problem is that we dont have the newest Deko.
So far, I create these animated lower third with After effects, transfer that on SP, playback on a VTR and "Key" by linear. This was done Upstream in M/E, and I then add over in dowstream the; name, title ... , with the CG Deko 500.
But "Keyed linear" those animation is a bit restrictive, some of the graphics contains levels of blacks wich are "clip" in the procedure.
Is there a better way to work with linear or even by using Key fill/Key source. I though render my alpha channel separetly in AE, transfert those two on separate SP, Sync/lock both TC VTR, then assign the graphics and is Alpha to Key fill/source of the Switcher. But, this is a bit! ... tricky, and I dont even know if it will work.
So advice on how I should go on will be appreciate. thanks!

equipement:
Deko 500
GVG 200
3 BCB60, 3 BCB70, 1 BCB75

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: animated graphics On the air with their transparency
on Jul 31, 2006 at 2:25:27 am

If its all on a single TAPE, you can't use any "alpha channels".

It its pretty easy to work-around.

Just make SURE to NOT USE any fully black colors in the graphics.

Keep everything that you "call" black (the darkest areas of the grphic) at about 10-12% above true "black".

Then make sure you make any area that is supposed to "disappear" at "ZERO black" (NTSC video "calls" black in the video at 7.5% above "ZERO black" or "Super black." Then the switcher will be able to easily adjust the zero blacks to key out leaving the rest of the graphic on-screen.

Return to posts index

roussel T
on Jul 31, 2006 at 7:42:26 pm

Hi Matte, thanks for your fast reply.
Please, let me point out a few things, and tell me if I am wrong.

First,
I have to make sure that no levels in my graphics (that i want to appear on screen)
are under about ... (10-12% above true "black"),
so 7.5 + 10-12 =... let's say about 18-20 IRE... right?
Q: I am getting confuse with what you've call here -true black- , and I will assume it is a 7.5 legal black. Tell me if not.

Then,
everything i want transparent must be on my waveform at 0 IRe = Zero Black

thanks for any futher and past post.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Jul 31, 2006 at 7:50:36 pm

No need to make the blacks you want to appear ON-SCREEN higher than 10-15% above "zero".

Since the linear keyer will be DROPPING OUT the "zero blacks" they will not be broadcast.

That way, the keyer will be able to easily "see the difference" between your +10% (or so) blacks and the "zero black" of the key-out background.

The 10% (or so) "blacks" that will be seen in your graphic should look just fine on the air.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jul 31, 2006 at 6:00:45 pm

Why not just ethernet the file from the AfterEffects computer to the NT Machine running Deko 500

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]