FORUMS: list search recent posts

still photo based animation

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmy1978
still photo based animation
on Jul 20, 2006 at 2:05:54 am

Hi guys, I'm teaching a motion graphic class this fall and one of the projects is to create an animation with a series of still photographs. I'm looking for some examples of motions graphics pieces that are based on still photography.

I have a good example which is a promo for VH1 Black History Month, but don't know the URL where I got it from.

Does anyone know of any good examples off hand that I could show the students as inspiration?

cheers and thanks in advance,
James

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: still photo based animation
on Jul 20, 2006 at 3:08:15 pm

[jimmy1978] "Does anyone know of any good examples off hand that I could show the students as inspiration?"

Sure: just about anything that Ken Burns has ever done for PBS.

If he doesn't have archival film to work with, he's not afraid to animate stills with his camera; The Civil War comes to mind immediately.

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Jul 24, 2006 at 1:08:11 pm

I'm not sure that you mean the kind of anmation Dave LaRonde posted about.
Although its very good, it is not necessarilly a "series of stills", but ONE still, either "panned/zoomed" or "re-layered" in Photoshop (lots of painstaking "filling-in" of blank spaces) and each LAYER is then "panned/zoomed" at a different rate.

Since video and film are ALL a "series of stills" then I think you might need to be more specific about what you are looking for.

Conventional "cel animation" cartoons are a series of stills, of course.

I'm also thinking of a "still camera" locked on a tripod and taking a series of stills as a person moves in front of the lens. Then, those photos could be arranged in order on a timelind and "played" as an animation.
In the same manner, "claymation" is a series of stills (shot one exposure at a time) and then played in order on a film or tape.

So, if you can be more specifc as to what you want the students to create, that whould help us answer more specifically.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 24, 2006 at 2:52:32 pm

Get to the video store and buy or rent "The Kid Stays In the Picture" and/or "Riding Giants".

These two films kicked off a revolution in the layered dimensional animation of photoshop stills.

"The Kid Stays In The Picture" is also rollicking good storytelling; watch the first ten minutes and you will HAVE to see the whole thing thru.

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Jul 24, 2006 at 3:08:08 pm

[Mark Suszko] ""The Kid Stays In The Picture" is also rollicking good storytelling; watch the first ten minutes and you will HAVE to see the whole thing thru."

I'd forgotten about that film (and missed it in the theater).

I'll try to get it this week.

Return to posts index

Tom Ackroyd
on Aug 2, 2006 at 11:30:49 pm

Check out the title sequence to American Splendor for what you can do with stills. It's so good I want to marry it.

Tom Ackroyd

Mark, PS - The Kid Stays in the Picture was a remarkable book. So one Friday evening I get the movie out. Can't bear it. Robert Evans has to be the worst narrator I have ever heard. Couldn't understand a word. Unlike you I got ten minutes in and hit eject!

Return to posts index

maxrez
on Jul 25, 2006 at 7:37:48 pm

RHEDPIXEL.COM

Talk to Richard Harrington. He is also a forum leader in the Adobe Photoshop COW Forum. He had some excellent examples at Photoshop World in Miami.

Steve

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 26, 2006 at 8:35:33 pm

Watch the VH1 show "Fabulous Life of..." Most of that show is done with outrageous animated stills/layering.
It is tedious, but good things take time.
As long as you are teaching kids, please tell them about things like color temperature, white balance and audio attenuation - not sure those things are taught anymore based upon some conversations I have had with youngsters.

Mike

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Jul 28, 2006 at 6:05:23 am

Check out http://www.itsjerrytime.com (he also douse a video podcast)

this guy dous hilarious short still photo based animations

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]