Which monitor?
by
on Jul 11, 2006 at 6:25:39 pm

for

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Which monitor?
on Jul 12, 2006 at 11:36:07 am

The fact that you're asking the question indicates to me that you really prefer the Sony.

If its in good condition, buy it.

Return to posts index

Theo
by
on Jul 12, 2006 at 3:11:38 pm

yes your right, im going to order it

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Jul 13, 2006 at 6:38:13 am

P22 phospors are not suitable for critical color grading. SMPTE or EBU would be more ideal.

FYI neither monitor is worth a damn without a method to properly calibrate either with a external color calibration probe which allows adjusting the gain and bias controls on the monitor. Gain is white balance, bias is black balance. There are numerous inexpensive color calibration probe available thru third party vendors which can be used.

If you don't want to deal with this take the monitor to a qualified engineer to confirm the monitor if within specifications for EBU standards.

If either monitor is out of spec all color grading decisions are invalid as your monitor will have a color bias which only exist on your monitor not other monitors which are properly calibrated.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

glenn chan
on Jul 15, 2006 at 7:25:39 am

If the BVM is new, there'd be no question which monitor is better. However, you have to ask yourself: why are they really selling the BVM??

Old monitors can pick up subtle problems that affect the image. As well, the phosphors in the CRT will change in composition based on how many electrons have hit them (this depends on time and intensity)... for critical color, CRTs should be replaced once they've been used too long.

FYI neither monitor is worth a damn without a method to properly calibrate either with a external color calibration probe which allows adjusting the gain and bias controls on the monitor. Gain is white balance, bias is black balance. There are numerous inexpensive color calibration probe available thru third party vendors which can be used.

In my opinion, this is overly picky. Gain is best set by eye. You want to get all light sources in your room close to D65, but more importantly all the white points should be the same. This is so your white balance does not drift around. Display a black+white image on all your monitors, and flick your eyes between them to check for a mismatch in white point.

Bias can be set by eye... although you have to find a decent test pattern for that.

*Some calibration probes don't work that well since they are not matched to the monitor.

Return to posts index

Theo
by
on Jul 16, 2006 at 3:23:40 pm

well i got it and it looks great , and one of the great things about the Sony BVM-14G5E, is that it has more controls than u need, in order to calibrate using the eye. Thanks

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Jul 23, 2006 at 8:04:18 pm

Glenn,

Sorry I have to disagree with you.

Calibrating the gain and bias by eye introduced more errors and inconsistent results than using a solid trackable monitor probe which displays the exact color temp, X and Y values, luminance output etc.

I can set up a monitor in under one minute using my probe. In addition setting up multiple monitors side by side is easily and quickly done with a probe than by eye.

The procedure relies on using accurate white and black center window patterns along with the probe.

I also follow established SMPTE specs for monitor calibration for insures consistent repeatable results.

Based on my professional experience having done it by eye versus with a probe the results with a probe are much more accurate.

FYI you must use the proper probe for the specific display device.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]