FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digitizing Broadcast Safe DVCPRO tapes

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Finkis3
Digitizing Broadcast Safe DVCPRO tapes
on Jul 8, 2006 at 7:20:58 pm

Hello I would like some advice on digitizing for broadcast. The tapes are DVCPRO and I think the system will be Avid Adrenaline. The necessary equiptment will be provided to get the everything loaded in properly. What are the specs, and your instructions on the basics?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Digitizing Broadcast Safe DVCPRO tapes
on Jul 10, 2006 at 3:00:53 pm

Film editors face the same uncertainty you anticipate when they go to work. They're at the mercy of what they're given. There was a phrase that computer folks used back in the days when computers were the size of semi trucks: "Garbage in, garbage out". When you're dealing with digital video of any kind, the same thing applies.

I don't know about DVCPro, nor the particular system you'll use, but I doubt that there's any way to adjust the audio/video signal coming into your editor when capturing. You'll have to rely on the expertise of those who were out in the field. That's why color correction is such a big thing lately; just about the only way you can adjust things is following capture.

The only adjustment I know of is where video levels are dropped to legal levels upon capture. It's used if the footage intentionally exceeded broadcast legal levels to get a bit more contrast range. This can be done when dealing with DV... but you have DVCPro, and I don't know if the same situation exists.

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Jul 13, 2006 at 6:31:46 am

Depending if you are capturing via firewire, SDI or analog. All will have on the ability or lack of to do any type of proc amp changes to the incoming video.

Generally bring it all in at unity levels and do color correction in the edit to comply with broadcast standards.

Of course depending on how the camera which shot the footage was adjusted this will have an impact on certain video levels being out of spec or dead on.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

glenn chan
on Jul 15, 2006 at 7:13:36 am

Generally, you capture, then edit way, then do color correction / make the footage broadcast-legal during the color correction / online editing phase. The Avid Symphony is designed to do online color correction + finishing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]