FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggested Broadcast monitor?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naveen Mallikarjuna
Suggested Broadcast monitor?
on Jun 28, 2006 at 5:16:36 pm

Does anyone have a suggestion for a relatively affordable broadcast monitor? My primary use will be for some greenscreen compositing.

I've been looking at getting the Sony PVM14-L1, the very basic entry-level monitor. Is this worth the $510 or so it costs, or should I buck up the cash for the next level up?

Any input is really appreciated...

Naveen

Return to posts index

Patson
Re: Suggested Broadcast monitor?
on Jun 29, 2006 at 5:51:04 am

Hello Naveen,

I have the same question as you. Rather than starting another thread, I thought I'd post here and ask additional questions that I hope some pro's will address for both of us.

I am getting requests for broadcast work. In an effort to improve my projects, I am shopping for a production monitor. My first choice was Sony PVM14, however, would I be better off investing in a Sony LMD-172 LCD Monitor? (More expensive) Reading the spec's it states that "it comes extrememly close to matching CRT displays". My questions to the pro's, if you were to part with your cash, which would you purchase and why? I've heard that LCDs, though they look nice, they are not always true when working on color correction. Thanks in advance for your response.

Naveen, thanks for posting your question. Patson

Return to posts index

Naveen Mallikarjuna
on Jun 29, 2006 at 3:34:32 pm

Thanks Patson. Hopefully someone gets back to us.

But just my novice 2 cents, from almost everything I've read, CRTs are still the way to go in terms of true color viewing. We use CRTs at the production company I freelance for, and I can say that there is a considerable difference in what you see on a CRT vs. an LCD computer monitor. Now, I don't know what that means for an LCD BROADCAST monitor, but all the literature I've read seems to back this up (unless you want to spend $thousands).

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
on Jun 29, 2006 at 5:42:12 pm

Well, there are "broadcast" monitors and there are "broadcast" monitors.

Like many things, in general, you get what you pay for, except when you don't. Sometimes you get more, sometimes you get less. ;-)

For example, Sony's excellent line of "broadcast" color video CRT monitors start at about $6K US and up:
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/DisplaySubCategory?m=0&p=8&sp...

There are many ways CRT and LCD monitors are different ... and similar. One technology isn't better than the other. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.

In general, LCD monitors have been less capable at accurately displaying interlaced video compared to CRT monitors. Conversely, since LCDs are progressive devices, some LCDs can be better at reproducing progressive video compared to certain CRT displays.

In many cases, CRTs can reproduce blacks more accurately compared to LCDs.

True HD-resolution LCDs can be far less expensive compared to CRTs of similar resolution.

CRT monitors with phosphors designed for accurate, consistent color reproduction -- such as SMPTE-C phosphors -- can be superior for color grading compared to LCDs in many cases.

CRTs typically have faster update rates compared to LCDs. LCDs with relatively slow update rates add blur to moving images.

LCDs typically weigh much less than CRTs, and LCDs typically consume less power, and produce less heat, compared to CRTs.

Some HD LCD monitors include poor-quality scaling electronics which adversely affects the monitor's ability to accurately display SD video. Better-quality (higher performance) scaling electronics cost more, thus affecting the cost of the monitor which incorporates it. In general, multi-format HD CRT monitors handle SD better than LCD monitors.

There are relatively expensive LCD-based display systems -- such as E-Cinema -- which rival the best CRT systems.

As always, you have to pick and choose which characteristics are most important for the work you do and proceed accordingly.

At the low end, the 15" JVC TM-H150C (especially when fitted with either the component or SDI interface) is a good CRT monitor for the price. The Sony 14" PVM CRT monitors (again, with either component or SDI interfaces) are better than the JVC, but more expensive.

Since LCD technology changes/improves rapidly, with new models announced every few weeks or months, I'll leave that research to you. It's worth noting that for environmental and other reasons, manufacture of CRT-based monitors is coming to an end. It's difficult to say when the last CRT monitor will be available, but it's "soon".

All the best,

- Peter

Return to posts index

Naveen Mallikarjuna
on Jun 29, 2006 at 8:35:29 pm

Thanks Peter! Really appreciate all the info. It was more than I expected!

Return to posts index

Theo
by
on Jul 11, 2006 at 6:44:29 pm

most Sony PVM's have P22 phosphors some are EBU and most Sony BVM's have SMPTE C phosphors and some EBU, I think the latest JVC's use P22 Phophors but with different technology than Sony's .....confused ? me too ,,, Im also trying to make a decision my thread "which monitor?"

Therefore I suppose Grade 1 is SMPTE C phosphors and Grade 2 is EBU, but becos most people now use LCD's and eventually CRT TV's will vanish, then the terminology of SMPTE C phosphors, and EBU wont mean anything in the future , when you will probably be grading on a LCD, bcos that what most people will be viewing, hence Sony's decision to scrap CRT's, ...

so where does that leave us, does it matter if you get a JVC which is cheaper?..... I dont thinks so ,......do we know what were grading to? .....I dont thinks so everyones got a different TV LCD and CRT's. So what the Standard?, .... I thinks colours may vary from one CRT to another but as long as it made for broadcast like a JVC, ...then i suppose nobody can really argue whatss right and what wrong, as long as red is red and green is green and blue is blue, a new monitor from JVC has got to be better than an old Sony, ..????? i dont know?

Return to posts index

Theo
by
on Jul 11, 2006 at 6:51:03 pm

why does my heart say get the old sony rather than a new JVC ,,.....damn!

Return to posts index

glenn chan
on Jul 15, 2006 at 7:09:50 am

Grade 1 is SMPTE C phosphors and Grade 2 is EBU
That's not true.

For the SD NTSC world, SMPTE C primaries are the standard. By primaries, I mean the specific colors of red, green, and blue (typically defined with chromaticity co-ordinates).
For the SD PAL world, EBU primaries are the standard.
For HD everywhere, Rec. 709 primaries are the standard.
P22 is a vague standard AFAIK.

Sony:
They did not abandon CRTs.
BVM series are their grade 1 monitors. They are CRTs.
PVM series are their "grade 2" monitors. They are being discontinued because of lead-free requirements... Sony did not want to spent R&D $$$ re-designing the boards in those monitors.
The Luma series LCDs are their "grade 2/3" monitors.

regarding what to grade to (engineering standards, vs real-world practice) see
http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=8&postid=89...

Return to posts index

Theo
by
on Jul 16, 2006 at 3:29:31 pm

thanks Glenn for clearing up what I picked up from my research that i did in a couple of days, inorder to buy a monitor, ... i found it very difficult to get the correct infor even from experienced resellers, your info makes the most sense thanks, ... and im now sure i have a grade 1 monitor :)

cheers

T

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]