FORUMS: list search recent posts

Big Broadcast houses - the tapeless future?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pixel Monkey
Big Broadcast houses - the tapeless future?
on Jun 6, 2006 at 5:31:01 pm

At this point, no one knows what format of tapeless media big broadcast houses are going to eventually agree on. Anyone venturing some educated guesses?

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Big Broadcast houses - the tapeless future?
on Jun 6, 2006 at 6:11:39 pm

[Pixel Monkey] "Anyone venturing some educated guesses?"

When it comes to broadcasting, there is no such thing as an educated guess, I'm afraid.

Consider that high-definition television was proposed in the late '70's to early '80's to be a SINGLE, GLOBAL standard. No PAL, no NTSC, no SECAM... and everybody in the world uses it. Got an Australian program you want to run in Russia? Got an American spot that needs to run on Sky TV in the UK? No problem... just make a copy and drop it in the mail! No standards conversion needed!

That's how hi-def began. Sounds pretty cool, huh?

Then the special interests got their slimy mitts on it. Today, how many different flavors of high-definition do we have? Ten? Sixteen? Not to mention the bastard format of HDV? Not to mention Varicam? Not to mention the BBC's goofy 14x9 variant? Not to mention that the NTSC hi-def variant actually KEPT that screwy 29.97 frame rate?

My guess is that there will be as many tapeless standards as there are manufacturers of tapeless equipment. The big boys like Sony, Panisonic, Leitch and others WILL NOT compromise on their proprietary standards for the good of the industry. Organizations that set standards, such as SMPTE, will knuckle under to pressure and bribery from the big boys, saying that "it's better for the industry" to have about three dozen standards. It will be a rat's nest of standards. A snake pit of standards. There will be no winners, only losers... especially among the people who have to use these myriad standards.

No, wait, I take that back. The companies that find an easy way to translate among all the standards will laugh all the way to the bank.

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Pixel Monkey
on Jun 12, 2006 at 2:40:18 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "The companies that find an easy way to translate among all the standards will laugh all the way to the bank."

Got that right.

Thanks for the response.

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

Just finished editing "Frank Lloyd Wright's Buffalo" - see it on PBS Sept 4, 2006 at 10pm.

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Jun 12, 2006 at 4:21:44 pm

Dave,
I love it when you get on your soap box. Could the soap that our boxes contained possibly have come from the same company?

But then would that admit to a standard, which we know there will never be?

Charlie

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 12, 2006 at 10:24:18 pm

I think our preferred soap brand is called cynicism. If memory serves me, you can only buy it after your tenth attempt to clean off the dirt of unfulfilled promises.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]