FORUMS: list search recent posts

Da Vinci Resolve or similair?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MediaBLITZ
Da Vinci Resolve or similair?
on Jun 5, 2006 at 6:16:32 pm

Hi,
I work for a small production company that produces a couple of national cable TV shows that are shot outdoors. We would really like our colors to pop (yada, yada and it is a constant issue) and are wondering if it might be worthwhile to get into a DaVinci setup.
Are any of you using DaVinci or anything similiar (what might that be?). What has been your experience with learning curves and ball park price of doing something like this?

Thank you,

Scott Bethel

Have a COW, man.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: Da Vinci Resolve or similair?
on Jun 5, 2006 at 8:53:14 pm

A daVinci would cost a bundle but would make those colors really pop!

On the other hand, a global color correction of increased saturation within NTSC limits might do what you need. It would be helpful to know what camera(s) you are shooting the footage with for the shows.
On what monitors are you looking at the final product? Color correcting 35mm film is easier to start with than undersaturated video cameras so knowing some more facts would be helpful.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS2
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

MediaBLITZ
on Jun 6, 2006 at 12:42:49 am

Much is shot on Panasonic AJ-700's (DVCPro), but we have been so impressed since testing out the new Canon XLH1, we are considering getting a fleet of them (its time to upgrade anyway). Like I said, most is shot outdoors and we will often get some mini-DV B-roll from other sources shot on GL-2's and the like.

I'd have to check on the exact monitors, but they are pretty standard Sony NTSC video monitors.

So how much does DaVinci Resolve (or others) go for (ballpark)? I can't find any info on that. Even an answer to that question would be hugely helpful.

Thanks,

Scott

http://www.cvpproductions.com

Have a COW, man.

Return to posts index

PetteriE
on Jun 6, 2006 at 8:13:14 am

Try Color Finesse, I

Return to posts index

MediaBLITZ
on Jun 6, 2006 at 2:38:16 pm

Okay, thanks. Does anyone have a ballpark on DaVinci? I want to find out before I submit myself to their sales staff ;)

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Jun 6, 2006 at 5:07:10 pm

You ever heard the pharse:
"If you have to ask, then you can't afford it"
This is true in your case. I'm not intimately fimiliar with the Da Vinci setups, but they usually work in conjunction with film scanners, giant HD arrays, etc. If you were to pay for a Da Vinci edit session it would be going for 2k-5k per hour. Usually Da Vinci setups go from 100k-300k depending on the configuration.

Someone recomended Color Finesse (good choice)
If you are really interested in A LOT of color control, then the next step would be Final Touch
http://www.siliconcolor.com/products/ftsd/ftsd.html
The HD version runs 5k and needs a beefy setup and screaming drives (FibreChannel Array). (not including the rendering manager) I'm taking a guess that this is already might be out of your price range?

Try small, and work your way up as needed.

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Pixel Monkey
on Jun 6, 2006 at 5:46:04 pm

Contact places that offer CC work. Don't have to be in your city either. Check "Finish" in Boston. Check "FrameBlender" in Toronto. Basement rates are $250/hr (+ $150 for the operator = $400). Day and week rates lower this some... $8k-10k per week? Go that route. Buying ANYTHING is a bad route, unless you develop a clear plan to make back the cash by farming it out weekly. Also... who on your small prod company has been doing this daily for x-number of years? Naaa, go with the experienced "hire" route.

You're sales staff can blame them and not you.

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]