FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast graphics - pleese help!!!

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcow
kingmax
Broadcast graphics - pleese help!!!
on May 29, 2006 at 6:01:59 pm

Since a month ago I tought I'll be doing 3D for the rest of my life but I had an oportunity to make a short commercial. I tought I did my job fine (at least with the hardware I had), tried it on my home DVD player and it look resonably fine, but when I saw it on TV a week later it really sucked compared to any other commercial. It all seemed washed out and blurry, and the audio was silent too. Since I work on an LCD monitor I knew i couldnt trust on what I see so I went to a friend that owns a Matrox Pharelia and tryed to colour correct the video the best I could (keeping the levels in the PAL standard 16-235), blurred a bit to avoid flickering etc. I delivered the video on a DVD (using the premiere mpeg2 encoder at best qulity) like they asked me to. So, what happened? How can I achieve a decent quality with the hardware I have? Is it really impossible to work on an LCD and monitor the work on a home SD TV without using a pro video editing card (i.e. using a DVCam as the framebuffer or using the i.e. cyberzeka plugin for AE? I still can't understand what's the difference in having a pro video card or an expensive production monitor especially when working with CG footage only. I know I asked a lot of questions here but i hope i'll get some feedback on a standard workflow for SD PAL broadcasting and on what hardware should I look into buying.

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Charlie King
Re: Broadcast graphics - pleese help!!!
on May 30, 2006 at 4:03:46 pm

I always stress the need for scopes. If you have good scopes, and learn to read them properly, it is possible to create video with cheap monitors (altho I wouldn't recommend it)
I got Scopo Gigio for AE it works great! All my other apps have built in scopes, and I have an external hardware scope, altho it is possible to get by without a hardware scope, just again not recommended.

Charlie

Return to posts index

JerryZ@BH
Re: Broadcast graphics - pleese help!!!
on May 31, 2006 at 2:27:26 pm

The broadcaster may have re-digitized or ripped your dvd for play out and so they may be responsible for the poor quality. You should alway use a broadcast monitor if you are going to broadcast. Your computer has way more color than the PAL or NTSC colorspace is capable of. What may look great on your computer monitor may look terrible when broadcast. A scope is a great idea too if you can afford it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]