FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you do...?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lesante Jr.
How do you do...?
on May 25, 2006 at 4:28:43 pm

Hi Fellow Cows,

I posted this question a long time ago and got some advice, but I am still having trouble.

I would like to know how the big networks like NBC, ESPN, etc... get their plasmas or lcd screens to look so good when you see them on tv next to thier anchors.

I tried putting my source into a TBC before going into the plasma screen, but I still can't get it to look like it is a graphic generated right out of the swicther.

What am I doing wrong? What do I have to do or get?

Now mind you, my cameras are about 12 yrs. old and the TBC is not some elaborate expensive unit. It's by Vodoo and it can control the luma, chroma and hue. I tried messing with all of those and I only got it to look o.k. but there is still that blue tint on it. I even tried putting a white full screen on the plasma screen and white balance on filter 1 from the screen but then the set has an orange tint.

Should I try putting it on another filter?

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

Sam

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
Re: How do you do...?
on May 25, 2006 at 5:40:03 pm

[Sam Lesante Jr.] "I would like to know how the big networks like NBC, ESPN, etc... get their plasmas or lcd screens to look so good when you see them on tv next to thier anchors."

Is it possible those TV's just have a green screen on them and the image is keyed in?

Return to posts index

Sam Lesante Jr.
on May 25, 2006 at 8:34:08 pm

I don't think it's green screen cause I've seen shots where the camera shot is in motion and the graphic on the screen is pristine.

I've also seen on Dateline where Stone is standing in front of a huge screen behind him that looks great

I uploaded two pics to my server to give you an example;

http://www.ssptv.com/videovault/dateline.jpg

http://www.ssptv.com/videovault/set.jpg

hope this helps

Sam

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
on May 25, 2006 at 8:47:26 pm

The plasma screen is going to be more of a daylight color balance. Check that by setting your camera to an outdoor filter and using the white balance preset.

See if there is an adjustment on the plasma screen itself to change the color temp to 3200 degrees. If not, you can color-correct your set lights to 5600 degrees. If you use gels to color-correct tungsten lights, you will be losing some intensity, so you will also need to crank down the luma on the plasmas.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Jon Zanone
on May 26, 2006 at 4:01:10 am

Try running bars to the TV (through the switcher), then shot it with a camera. As best you can, adjust the PLASMA to get correct bars... Did that make sense?

Jon

"The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess. But He's pretty sure you're F%$#*D!"

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on May 26, 2006 at 4:13:21 am

"Back in the day" a client had need for a correct-looking monitor (CRT) on set with talent. We had an old RGB color corrector, which allowed us to properly color balance the video going into monitor to approx 3200K. After chipping the cameras, we'd put 10 step greyscale into the monitor, then used the color corrector (and a vectorscope, kids) to black and white balance the video off the monitor as seen by the camera. Verified with bars, and final tweak with the actual video. Worked like a charm. looked great. Another cheat would be to feed the monitor video through a switcher and soft matte key in a little orange background to paint it up warmer. Not perfect but looks better than the sickly blue cast.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 26, 2006 at 5:02:37 pm

Listen to Mr. Reti. The voice of experience speaks. If you can't do as he did, you're taking your chances on reproducing video accurately in this monitor.

Return to posts index

Daniel E
on May 27, 2006 at 2:57:27 pm

If you have a nice clean piece of 85 gel you can color correct the monitor towards Tungsten. Just cut it to size and place it on the screen. It is very hard to just do it with the electronics of most monitors. Even if you balance the color so it is a lower color balance you are still dealing with a very high color temp source. You can also help by using daylight source lights like Kineflos, HMI's. You can also use half or full blue on Tungsten lights. Some combination of these techniques should work out well. Remember they have a lot of rehearsal time to figure out what they want to do.

Daniel Epstein
Gold Teleproductions, Inc
New York, NY
http://www.goldtele.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]