FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it ok to reuse Beta Sp Tapes for Broadcast?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devin Crane
Is it ok to reuse Beta Sp Tapes for Broadcast?
on May 16, 2006 at 2:14:56 pm

Is it ok to reuse the Beta tapes that we send to our stations for broadcast or should I just chuck them?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Is it ok to reuse Beta Sp Tapes for Broadcast?
on May 16, 2006 at 3:31:51 pm

Beta SP gets a little "better" after the first few passes, whch burnishes and knocks off any loose bits of dirt or whatever. I would say they are easily good for 10 passes, if you take good care of them, and may go longer, depending how much you baby them. It's a rugged format. There's a station I know that's so notorious for recycling beta stock, all their footage looks like it's shot in a blizzard. They seem to do a lot of live shots in order to avoid having to play tape, which invariably has wrinkles and dropouts. After 60-100 passes, it *may* be time to think about getting fresh stock, guys:-)And head cleaning is not an optional service.

Be sure to use a quality bulk eraser, or stripe the tape end to end if you don't want older images to suddenly pop up in, before, or after a paying client's programming. They hate seeing that, as they tend to expect fresh stock is used each time.

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on May 16, 2006 at 6:31:16 pm

Thanks for the info.

DC

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on May 18, 2006 at 6:11:11 pm

Mark,

You were kidding about Beta SP getting "better" with more passes?

In the ten years I worked as an on-line editor this was and will never be the case with analog tape stock. After three to four passes you can expect to see dropout increase versus virgin tape.

Each pass introduces more dropout and wear and tear on the tape.

Maintaining your vtr tape path and heads is highly recommended to reduce the risk of buildup on tape stock.

In ENG news it is common practice to use tape until it melts in your hands but in the world of production given the cheap cost of beta sp tape (under ten dollars or less) why jeoparize an original camera master by trying to save a few pennies.)

Use the tape stock for work tape or a test tape instead.

Find a cheaper PA to hire but don't be a penny pitcher on the tape stock.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 18, 2006 at 6:27:23 pm

Tony, I said a *couple* of passes, meaning two. I put the limit at ten, and my experience has been that that's conservative. I did poke fun at the REAL cheapskates I know that run them 50 to 100 passes until the tape looks more like leader, and has so many layers of label stickers on it you can't load it into a deck anymore. But I don't think re-using clean, striped, one-pass stock for distribution is a bad thing at all, especially if the distribution copies are never coming back.

Your point about keeping the heads and tape path immaculate is well-taken, though. As is the fact that among all our expendables, tape is the cheapest thing... until you come back with it blank, that is:-)Nothing more useless than runway behind you, altitude above you, and returning with un-used tape stock.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]