FORUMS: list search recent posts

Textless Elements

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina Staum
Textless Elements
on May 13, 2006 at 5:04:46 am

I just got some broadcaster tech specs that ask for "textless elements" on the tape after the end of the show. How is this usually done? I know you take all the clean shots from under the chyron and throw them in at the end, but what about when there's a transition between shots? Do you have to go back (or forward) to the nearest hard cut, or do you just put in the one shot with enough material on either side to make the transition you have in there? It's an entertaiment show, so could get pretty transition-happy.

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Textless Elements
on May 13, 2006 at 12:10:43 pm

Ask whomever is making the request.

Return to posts index

Nina Staum
on May 18, 2006 at 10:27:40 am

Thanks, I guess I just assumed there was a universal standard.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 18, 2006 at 4:13:53 pm

It certainly would be nice if there was a standard. I can only speak from the experience of working at an ABC affiliate.

When ABC sends down graphics that have transparencies associated with them, they send down the color graphic itself, with no transparency applied, followed by a B&W transparency matte where white is opaque and black is transparent. Both are about 20 seconds in duration, and both are positioned where they are intended to be on the screen.

The exception is over-the-shoulder graphics, which are sent two ways: as big as network can make them, then positioned where network intends them to be on the screen.

Return to posts index

Nina Staum
on May 30, 2006 at 12:37:08 am

Dave, I meant putting a clean copy of every shot that has a font over it at the end of the tape.

I asked my producers repeatedly to find out how the broadcaster likes it done and haven't heard back (unfortunately can't call them myself since I'm on the graveyard shift.) Sent the first master yesterday with textless shots from hard cut to hard cut - 8.5 mins of material for a 23 min show. Guess we'll find out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]