FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live broadcast graphics off a MacBook Pro - possible?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Allen
Live broadcast graphics off a MacBook Pro - possible?
on May 12, 2006 at 7:56:19 am

Hi Guys,

I'm soon to come into posession of my new macbook pro. I volunteer at the local community tv station where kids do some basic shows in a simple studio.

I've been curious for a while wether there are any systems you can buy to do broadcast type graphics off a laptop - ie a program and to run the graphics and perhaps a PCI card to output a signal and key channel.

I don't know wether anything like this exists or if anyone has any efficient and effective work arounds to achieve this sort of thing. I've done stuff before such as running prepared graphics straight off a FCP timeline with a green background and chroma keying it in the desk, but obviously this is far from perfect or exact.

If anyone has any ideas, experience or knows of appropriate products I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks heaps guys.

Jason Allen
Melbourne, Australia

Return to posts index

Jon Zanone
Re: Live broadcast graphics off a MacBook Pro - possible?
on May 12, 2006 at 11:26:07 am

I've not heard of anything like that, especially running on a laptop...
During the course of my research, I've found most companies (at least Chyron, Inscriber and the like) don't offer cards. Pinnacle offered a standalone card, as did Chyron but stopped for one reason - CPU manufacturers changed their MOBO configurations to often. I've got a Pinnacle Deko100 I can't find a replacement CPU for - it needs side by side AGP and PCI slots. If you find something post it here. I'd be very interested.

For full screen graphics, you could do PowerPoint and a scan converter...

Jon

"The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess. But He's pretty sure you're F%$#*D!"

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 12, 2006 at 3:24:19 pm

You would want to do Livetype, I should think. Comes with an FCP buncle, but I think Apple sells it separately too. Slower than Inscriber, but gorgeous output.

BTW, if you want to do low budget switched video with fx and cg titling, you might want to look at the free trial version of Channel Storm's LiveChannel. Google it.

Return to posts index

Matte
on May 14, 2006 at 6:47:27 pm

Livetype is in no practical way "Live Broadcast Graphics" system.

There is no way to create pages "on-the-fly" like with, say, a Chyron.

Adding scores or updates would be a slow process that would involve "rendering".

The output would then need to be sent through a "keyer" to allow putting these graphics over live shots.
The Alpha channels would be lost in the process as well.

Livetype is designed for post-production Final Cut Pro editing.

Return to posts index

Jason Allen
on May 17, 2006 at 12:56:02 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I am basically looking for an Inscriber on a laptop type solution. I agree that Livetype is not the best solution for what I am looking for, but I can see where he was coming from in suggesting that and I am greatful for all suggestions.

I guess my dream is of this tiny little breakout box. It connects to your firewire port, or directly to a pci card. The box has a Key and Fill output for connecting to a broadcast switcher. Inside the 'puter is a beautifully simple interface, like an iTunes, where you can set up playlists of your pre-rendered quicktimes with alpha channels, and they play out live to air at the press of a button. And it all costs on $59.95.

That's not too much to ask is it? Are you sure none of you know where to find this product? ;)

Thanks heaps for your time guys.

Jase

Return to posts index

JerryZ@BH
on May 22, 2006 at 4:56:41 pm

If your mixer is capable of pulling a luma or chroma key then you can use a scan converter to convert VGA signals to say S-video. Your Mac will come with a DVI to VGA converter cable. You can then use something like Powerpoint or Keynote to produce slides for your stills or even embed video. Churches do this quite a bit for a budget way of doing graphics. Anything that gets dispayed on your screen will be passed through the VGA port. If you put all of your text and effects over say green then your mixer should be able to pull a key from it. You'll most likely eat up one an extra port on your mixer but it should work. You will most likely have some jaggy edges too. The MACbook uses express card 34 which doesn't have a whole lot of support yet but it's coming.

JerryZ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]