FORUMS: list search recent posts

Delivery option other than BetaSP for 30 minute local broadcast

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Golden
Delivery option other than BetaSP for 30 minute local broadcast
on Apr 26, 2006 at 12:13:55 am

This question is probably so fundamental that I'm sure to be embarrassed, but I need to know, so here goes:

I edit and deliver a 30 minute weekly program of my church's service to a local CBS affiliate. The tape format is BetaSP. In a conversation with my TV salesman, he mentioned that some of their programs are delivered to them via a file transfer (FTP or e-mail?) What sort of file is this? He didn't know. What size file would a 30 minute program be? Is this enough information to explain my need?

I use Final Cut Studio 5.1. Obviously my program is edited as SD.

I am way out of the loop and don't have a knowledge base to draw from or local people to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Greg Golden

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Delivery option other than BetaSP for 30 minute local broadcast
on Apr 26, 2006 at 11:08:55 am

When I delever a 30 sec. spot in this way (FTP), it takes my computer an HOUR on-line via DSL.

(And that doesn't count the time it takes to FIRST COMPRESS it to a tranferable file.)

If 30 sec. transfer = 1 hour

then 30 min. transfer = 60 hours (well, probably not, but a HECK of a long time).

How about burning a DVD? It will look good, but its much more compressed than BetaCam.

If you want the best quality and a 1-to-1 dub-time, of these, BetaCam is still the choice.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Apr 27, 2006 at 11:00:33 am

Of course, another good choice would be DV tape.

Is that the format you shoot and edit with?

If so, your quailty will be very high if you can send the station (and they can PLAY) a DV tape.

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Apr 28, 2006 at 4:38:17 am

We are getting away from using tapes all together for our work.
Most broadcast/satelitte playback is MPEG. So when you give them a tape, they turn around and digitze that straight into their playback system (which is usually an MPEG variant) SeaChange is a big co. that does this. So by the time it gets into any broadcast system it's usually 2nd or 3rd generation. I believe Avid has some solutions for bridging this gap (if you edit with Avids).
Since we always make our clients/distribution copies onto DVD, we are already doing the work of compressing. So I use compressor out of FCP, then I use a program from BitVice that will create a Multiplex MPEG file ( i didn't mention that-but the MPEG file needs a/v in one file-Multiplex), then I FTP it down to our Satelitte station for upload. We are on a 'backbone' on the internet, so it take about 3-5 mintues to upload a 1 hour program. Done.
That quality should be better since the MPEG file is a direct export from your FCP timeline. But, as Matte pointed out, it might be time prohibited, but it's possible with what you have.

FWIW

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]