FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playing After Effects with alpha's over live video

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kurt murphy
Playing After Effects with alpha's over live video
on Apr 17, 2006 at 8:59:16 pm

playing After Effects movies w/alphas over live video

We just upgraded from beta decks to Avid for our news editing. It's great because I can now export my After Effects animations with an alpha channel and use them seamlessly within the Avid over video. We also run our opens right from the Avid and things look so much better.

What I want to do is to be able to run bumps and tags over LIVE video, but the Avid doesn't export an alpha channel into ParkerVision (sigh, we use parrkerVision here). We have an old Chyron Infinit and Decocast... But both are extremely cumbersome to set up (especially on the fly).

What's out there that will play an After Effects movie in real-time over live video (and generate some text)? I've looked at the Chyron Jazz and it seems to do some things; but it would be nice if it could also import Photoshop layered files.

thanks,

kurt murphy
WIVBTV

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: Playing After Effects with alpha's over live video
by
on Apr 17, 2006 at 11:24:16 pm

If you're careful about LEVELS, you can just record the animations/graphics to tape (or on-air playback system) and KEY them in the video switcher via LUMINANCE KEY.

This will work as long as all of the video you want to key is above a certain black-level.
(i.e. make sure your graphics sitting are over "zero black" as a background.)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 18, 2006 at 4:05:50 pm

Parkervision? In BUFFALO? The CBS affiliate in the second-largest city in New York? Oh, I feel your pain.

I think your best bet is to go with something by Chyron (or someone like them) that's a HUGE still store with live playback capabilities, integrated with a good CG. These machines support alpha channels, you can animate text, and animation file requirements usually are resolved within AE or upon import into the CG. But I don't know how well these things integrate with Parkervision.

Furthermore, if LIN's using a Parkervision setup in the #40-something market to save on studio crew expenses, I don't know how enthused they'll be about paying for a good, up-to-date CG... especially with digital conversion breathing down their necks. I hope I'm wrong.

Return to posts index

kurt murphy
on Apr 18, 2006 at 8:04:50 pm

Dave,

Wow, you have a keen insight... I'm currently looking at Chyron (but I'm a little gunshy because the Infinit is SO not friendly) and a couple others... Thanks for the input

PS

We have 2 people from Iowa (KTIV) that work here... used to have about 7.....

thanks,

kurt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 19, 2006 at 2:39:54 pm

[kurt murphy] "Wow, you have a keen insight... "

Thanks for the compliment, but it's not all that keen.

I grew up around Syracuse and did my undergrad work at UB. Furthermore, I've been in broadcasting long enough to develop a certain cynicism about ownership, budgets, the bottom line and the effect they have on people who have to crank out the work day after day.

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Apr 19, 2006 at 4:00:53 pm

I hear from many people about Chyron being user unfriendly, but once you learn the basics it starts to make total sense, and actually becomes very easy plus the main thing about Chyron is that it is very fast after you set up templates, macros, etc. Things jsut fall together, that is why it has always been so popular for sporting events, things happen quickly adn you need to be able to respond almost instantly and the Chyron allows this to happen. The training is excellent if you can affford to go or to send someone.

Charlie

Return to posts index

kurt murphy
on Apr 20, 2006 at 2:58:01 pm

<>

Cool... I teach After Effects there....

kurt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]