FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issue with Component Video Cable Run...

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
davemcc
Issue with Component Video Cable Run...
on Apr 3, 2006 at 6:21:28 pm

Hi,

I am having a bit of trouble with the addition of an component video cable to my setup. I have a Decklink Pro (SD) I/O card that connects to the component inputs of a Sony PVM-14/L5 monitor. I want to add a second monitor (Sony TV) to the mix to get a "preview" from a typical audience member's viewpoint. The Sony broadcast monitor allows you to "loop through" a set of connections to daisy-chain displays. The TV set is connected to the component outputs of the broadcast monitor via a 50 ft. component cable.

When video is viewed on the TV set, there are a couple of horizontal bands of greenish tint that slowly move up the screen. This also occurs when the TV set is connected directly to the Decklink output via the 50 ft. cable.

I wonder if this issue is related to the length of the cable, the quality of the cable, the inability of the Decklink card to drive a signal that far, etc.? I realize that the cable may not be the best one (component analog video cable).

Would a Belden/Canare cable work well enough to alleviate my issue? Or, do I need to get a distribution amp to feed my broadcast monitor and TV set? Or, do I need a better cable and a distribution amp? Or, ...???

Thanks,

-Dave

Return to posts index

alexander serpico
Re: Issue with Component Video Cable Run...
on Apr 3, 2006 at 6:44:26 pm

It sounds like the Sony TV is causing the problem, some sort of termination issue.

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
on Apr 4, 2006 at 3:34:03 am

Check for a ground issue. You may have a difference of "ground potential" between the machines - one of the symptoms of ground problems is a moving horizontal band..

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

michael d
on Apr 8, 2006 at 5:50:25 pm

I have a similar problem with the component out of my Deck Link Pro card when viewed through my JVC BM-H1310SU monitor, a green band approximately one-third the height of screen moving upward and taking about 15 seconds to go from the top to the bottom. I do not have this problem when using the composite out of the card. I first noticed this while monitoring the capture of black and white files in June of last year. I then noticed it on my captured color files in December of last year after changing video cards (from ATI to nVIDIA). I have been trying to resolve this problem with Blackmagic since June of last year without success. I think it is a problem with the SDI to component conversion

Return to posts index

michael d
on Apr 8, 2006 at 6:46:18 pm

I should have read Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Reins
on Apr 18, 2006 at 4:01:36 pm

Here's a good article on Ground Loop Hum

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/video_isolation.html

Return to posts index

michael d
on Apr 18, 2006 at 4:36:48 pm

Thank you for the information. Lifting the ground on my monitor solved my problem with the rolling green band but the article suggests a systematic approach to eliminate problems in the future.

Return to posts index

jay agoglia
on Feb 18, 2013 at 8:36:57 pm

HI,

what do you mean by "lifting the ground"

lifting the cables off the floor?

In addition to video hum rolling through the monitor;

I have an issue when routing composite video input to a beta deck and recording. the monitor feed (composite video out from the beta) displays a wrap around video. Where the bottom of the screen is actually at the top almost as if the video is wrapping around the monitors screen. The position is never the same as each additional tape I put in to record changes the position of the wrap around.

any thoughts?

thank you

Jason Agoglia
QC Manager
On The Spot Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]