FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accepted Broadcast Formats ?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Garvin
Accepted Broadcast Formats ?
on Mar 19, 2006 at 8:41:54 pm

For years I have been producing corporate videos. I have worked my way up throught a variety of formats...Currently I am very pleased with my DVCAM system Sony DSC 300 and a media 100i editing system.

An organization that I do work for wants to produce a Documentary about their workers with hopes of maybe getting aired on national TV ( PBS ) It would be great if that happens... but I won't be holding my breath.....but I do not want to limit this possibility by using a camera format that is not considered to be Broadcast Quality ?

What format would you recommend that the raw footage be shot with ?

Has digiBeta now replaced betaSP ?

Will my media 100i XE meet the broadcast requirements of the national TV ?

Plus feel free to add anything that you think would be helpful.....

Thanks
Joe Garvin

I did a post search and found some good info but a lot is over 2 years old.... what do stations require in 2006

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Accepted Broadcast Formats ?
on Mar 19, 2006 at 11:14:51 pm

[Joe Garvin] "I did a post search and found some good info but a lot is over 2 years old.... what do stations require in 2006"

Since PBS is not "stations"... but its own "unique entity".

THEY alone will set the standards that they now accept.

I would imagine its not uncommon for them to want programs produced in 16 x 9 "HD" these days.

Return to posts index

Jon Zanone
on Mar 20, 2006 at 12:39:21 pm

Check here: http://www.pbs.org/producers/

There's a wealth of info here. Make sure you click on the link called 'Red Book'. My experience with PBS is this. I offer a show to the regional affiliate (in my case, Denver), and they accept it. They turn around and put it up on the bird, and publicize to other affiliates what is being broadcast, and when. The affiliates record whatever feed they want and air it. They don't have to accept programming just because it's on the bird. A documentary about the spotted owl will probably get air in the northwest, but maybe not elsewhere. (Hmmm, lots of avian references...)
Some more experiences;
-I once sent a master to PBS in a padded envelope. They opened it, and the dust from the padding went all over the place. I now send masters in a bubble wrap envelope, If I can't hand deliver them. (I'm still not sure why they didn't use their PBS vacuum....
-Be VERY scrupulous about your video levels. Make sure you follow the standards PRECISELY. PBS engineers are very detail-oriented. If you don't have one, you'll make your life much easier by investing in a calibrated outboard WFM/V-Scope.

HTH,
Jon

"So you want to throw out the old you - but the old you is old enough to know it won't make it better"
Del Amitri - "Make it Better"

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Mar 22, 2006 at 4:10:44 am

"Producing for PBS, a How-To Manual for Producers" at
http://www.pbs.org/producers/

The Production Tools links cover both production and technical requirements in great detail.

Individual stations and state or regional networks will have their own guidelines, but very likely modeled after PBS.

Return to posts index

Joe Garvin
Re: Broadcast Formats ...thanks
on Mar 22, 2006 at 6:38:03 am

Matte, Jon and Chuck

thanks for the info... that's a great web page
also a little intimidating ... make you wonder how anything ever gets
on air with all those requirements. ?

thanks again
Joe G

Return to posts index

Jon Zanone
Re: Broadcast Formats ...thanks
on Mar 22, 2006 at 12:13:16 pm

As long as your video is legal, and the content is compelling, you should have no problems!

Good Luck!

"So you want to throw out the old you - but the old you is old enough to know it won't make it better"
Del Amitri - "Make it Better"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]