FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice?

COW Forums : Broadcasting

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graeme
Advice?
on Mar 19, 2006 at 8:08:49 pm

Hi there,

I am currently working in Radio and have been for the last 13 years. Over the last few years I have been doing some freelance video prod. for clients I have met through my radio job. I am looking at leaving radio all together to focus on video. I have a BA communications degree that I got ten years ago (where I learned video on BETA decks) so obviously my degree is somewhat worthless. I am self taught (through books) on AVID, Vegas and Aftereffects. I know ProTools, Adobe Aud etc...through radio. MY QUESTION? I am considering going back to school for either a MA in Comm. Video Empahsis or attending the Art Instititue in order to obtain a degree. Do I need some sort of "official certififacte" to do video full time? I have a reel, but no "real world" expirirence. I am also considering going to school so I can get an internship at a TV station, and I need to be enrolled to do so. Can anybody let me know if school would be the way to go or a waste of money? While I can intuitively produce a :30sec spot, there is a lot I would like to learn, more animation, color/lighting etc...help please. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jon Zanone
Re: Advice?
on Mar 20, 2006 at 12:42:48 pm

My humble opinion?

A monkey can work in video production.

I hire people that can get along with the client and my crew. I would say your degree is NOT worthless. It's probably more that 75% of the people that work in video....

Jon

"So you want to throw out the old you - but the old you is old enough to know it won't make it better"
Del Amitri - "Make it Better"

Return to posts index

Matte
on Mar 20, 2006 at 5:10:46 pm

Jon,

I think you left out several key WORDS in your post (its hard to proof-read your own work).

Can you please re-state what you meant to say?

(NOTE: We really need an EDIT function here on the COW, Yes?)

Return to posts index

Jon Zanone
on Mar 20, 2006 at 7:24:48 pm

[Jon Zanone] "I would say your degree is NOT worthless. It's probably more that 75% of the people that work in video...."

Yeah, definitely an edit function. Definitly.

What I was TRYING to say at 0500MST was I do not believe a degree is worthless. I believe a degree shows a willingness to commit to a career path. HOWEVER, I don't think I'd hire a prima donna with a degree over someone without a degree who has a really good personality. This buisness is stressful enough without having to deal with, shall we say, not nice people....

Hope that makes sense!
Jon

"So you want to throw out the old you - but the old you is old enough to know it won't make it better"
Del Amitri - "Make it Better"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]